Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  66
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have urgent questions?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Have urgent questions?

Hey honey badger here, first off I'm new to the site and the diesel life. Just bought a 08 6.7 Cummins fully deleted with fasts fuel system oversized injectors and all the good stuff. Only problem I found so far is the coolant system, previous owner put a 5.9 radiator on it and when I was driving it 2 hours home everything was right until I took the first steep grade and the engine temp spiked as soon as let go of the gas it would immediately return to 210 but if gave it enough gas to maintain my speed it would quickly jump to 300 so I checked the coolant and I noticed it was quite low so I put some water in it while I purged the air out of the system, after I drove a ways I checked it again and it need water yet again and again and again. The exhaust does not smell sweet at all no coolant in oil also the overflow tank was full already full and was not cycling back into radiator. The next morning when I checked the radiator level I noticed a lot of pressure behind the cap but it was all air and after I released it you can see bubbles rising from the bottom of the radiator, I also need to replace the thermostat I will let you know if that fixes any of my problems. I'm hopefully just overreacting.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Have urgent questions?

Quote Originally Posted by honeysplatter20 View Post
    Hey honey badger here, first off I'm new to the site and the diesel life. Just bought a 08 6.7 Cummins fully deleted with fasts fuel system oversized injectors and all the good stuff. Only problem I found so far is the coolant system, previous owner put a 5.9 radiator on it and when I was driving it 2 hours home everything was right until I took the first steep grade and the engine temp spiked as soon as let go of the gas it would immediately return to 210 but if gave it enough gas to maintain my speed it would quickly jump to 300 so I checked the coolant and I noticed it was quite low so I put some water in it while I purged the air out of the system, after I drove a ways I checked it again and it need water yet again and again and again. The exhaust does not smell sweet at all no coolant in oil also the overflow tank was full already full and was not cycling back into radiator. The next morning when I checked the radiator level I noticed a lot of pressure behind the cap but it was all air and after I released it you can see bubbles rising from the bottom of the radiator, I also need to replace the thermostat I will let you know if that fixes any of my problems. I'm hopefully just overreacting.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome

I hate to say this, but you got snookered.

Sounds like a blown head gasket. The bubbles were a big clue. 300 is way too hot. I hope it didn't stay there long. Did you happen to use the heater? If you did, did you lose the heat?

Give us some more details about the options and mods on the truck. Mileage?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

to the forum @honeysplatter20

Agree with @Polaraco ... there is more than meets the eye here.
    Also, are there any leaks indicated with wet spots ?
    And how hard were you pushing it on the way home ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I agree unfortunately it sounds like a blown head gasket also possibly a cracked head
    The person you bought it from must’ve drove the **** out of it and beat the hell out of it

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

7. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Welcome @honeysplatter20 from NC also! I agree with the others. Hopefully it didn’t do any damage to your truck driving home. Nice looking rig you got there!

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the help and support!
    I really hope it’s not a blown head gasket or cracked head how could I tell? Runs very smooth would think anything was wrong with the motor. I was told it has a copper head gasket, efi live with stock, towing, eco, street, and race in the order only smoke a little white when you first start it I was told the was from the oversized injectors.
    Its a big horn edition with exhaust brake truck has 179936 miles has plenty of power and built trans shifts smooth but solid
    everything is deleted
    anything yall need to know?

10. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by honeysplatter20 View Post
    Thanks for all the help and support!
    I really hope it’s not a blown head gasket or cracked head how could I tell? Runs very smooth would think anything was wrong with the motor. I was told it has a copper head gasket, efi live with stock, towing, eco, street, and race in the order only smoke a little white when you first start it I was told the was from the oversized injectors.
    Its a big horn edition with exhaust brake truck has 179936 miles has plenty of power and built trans shifts smooth but solid
    everything is deleted
    anything yall need to know?
    Did you see any leaks or loosing coolant

12. Likes david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

You really should consider filling it with water .. make sure the engine is dry .. run it until it's hot and the fluid is flowing .. if it's not getting real hot quickly, give it a few then shut it off and look at the engine.

Yes it very well could be the head gasket, heads ... but even something simple as a bad freeze plug leaking, bad hose, ect .... Start simple and go step by step futher each time until you find the problem. It sounds like it gonna be a lil headache to figure it out. But you can do it !

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

14. Likes david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    You really should consider filling it with water .. make sure the engine is dry .. run it until it's hot and the fluid is flowing .. if it's not getting real hot quickly, give it a few then shut it off and look at the engine.

Yes it very well could be the head gasket, heads ... but even something simple as a bad freeze plug leaking, bad hose, ect .... Start simple and go step by step futher each time until you find the problem. It sounds like it gonna be a lil headache to figure it out. But you can do it !
    Great advice from a wise old man

16. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast