Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: F650 with 6.7L Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

F650 with 6.7L Cummins

I'm thinking about buying a 2009 F650 with the 6.7L ISB Cummins 325hp and a 6spd Allison. What is the track record of the Cummins in that year? I like the motor/ tranny combination but I want to hear what others have to say about the engine. I currently have a 12 valve Cummins in an older Dodge and Chevy 3500 Duramax with the 6pd Allison and I've owned a 24 valve Cummins 3500 in the past as well. I like the simplicity of the 12 valve and power of the Duramax.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: F650 with 6.7L Cummins

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Cummins is the best Diesel Motor hands down in a pickup truck the durashit and powercroak are a joke

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDJ View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a 2009 F650 with the 6.7L ISB Cummins 325hp and a 6spd Allison. What is the track record of the Cummins in that year? I like the motor/ tranny combination but I want to hear what others have to say about the engine. I currently have a 12 valve Cummins in an older Dodge and Chevy 3500 Duramax with the 6pd Allison and I've owned a 24 valve Cummins 3500 in the past as well. I like the simplicity of the 12 valve and power of the Duramax.
    Welcome aboard. We'll try to help you with this one.

Tell us a bit more about this 650. Mileage, maintenance, that sort of thing. What was it used for? Did it do allot of idling? Any history you have is helpful.

I was talking with a guy that has an 08 with 600K on his 6.7. But he did the EGR delete on his which saved the engine. That may be a clue to the potential. He claims he never had the valve cover off. I can imagine the valve lash. . . . I dunno if the guy was full of it or not. That's about 75K a year.

BTW, I'll put my lowly 03 5.9 up to your max any day. More than once I've had to wait for them. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Likes Power247, david3gen liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The truck has about 90k miles and came from TX. Both the trucks I'm looking at are equipped with road tractor fifth wheels mounted on flat beds so I'm sure they were used to pull trailers at least part of the time. I want heavier suspension and brakes over what a 3500 comes with. I'll be using this to pull portable buildings to lots in a 100-150 mile radius.

BTW, I don't have any doubt about your 5.9 as I have owned them and they are proven work horses. I just got tired of transmission problems so I went with the Allison that happened to be behind the Duramax.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

The 46 and 47's built to 48RE specs with upgrades frictions and some minor mods can be pretty bullet proof. The 68re with the extra gears would be better. There's allot of trouble free miles on those old 4 speeds. You just hear about the bad ones. I know a guy who does nothing but haul cars with an 05. He has a 3 car. He's approaching 300K on one rebuild now with the mods I recommended to him. He has the trans services frequently and says the trans is always clean and still works like new. He did the trans before it was needed. He thinks like I do. One breakdown can cost more than the repair.

Allison is made for the application. I agree they are a better trans. There are Dodge conversions available. I can't afford it, and at my age, I'm ramping down on that stuff. I'm going to shut down my towing operation soon too. I tow for a dealer occasionally, which pays well and will just do that. Pays for toys now. LOL I have a 22 foot one car. But I've towed Kubota diggers on it with no effort.

My 48 failed at 95K. It apparently had been over heated numerous times by the previous owner. The damage was done before I got it 5 years ago with 58K on it. Heat kills. Even loaded on big hills, in lower gears, I don't go over 180* now.

Your choice is good though. Ford Chassis's aren't bad at all.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes david3gen liked this post