Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I guess I was wrong about 2 cycle oil all these years

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: I guess I was wrong about 2 cycle oil all these years

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    It makes the oil more slippery. It's not an oil thinner or thickener. It leaves a very thing layer of lubricant on friction surfaces. It's invisible. You can feel it in your fingers. Reduces friction. I use it in my rear and engine. I'm still a bit hesitant using it in an automatic trans yet.

In fact, I put it in everything now that uses oil lubrication. (Even a couple of drops in an oil can) Strange as it sounds, even my 5 HP compressor, which is a true industrial class, is quieter and I swear it makes more air. Lawn mowers, and my Generac 20KW. That thing the starter spins so freely since i put it in. Seems to run smoother even on natural gas
    LOL ok now where do I find this at? Damnit. Buying a diesel is worse than a kid in a toy store

2012 ram 2500 4x4. 3” lift. 37x13.5x17 toyo mt. Smitty built grill, kenwood radio, bullet liner.

2. Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Elliss View Post
    Hey Greg, I've looked here locally for archoil but can't find it. Where do you find it where your at?
    Ordered from Amazon which is still just ordering from Archoil direct since Amazon doesn't actually stock thier product. They run different specials on Amazon and thier web page so check both before you order. It took about a week to get here but worth the wait.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks Elliss thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, Elliss liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Ordered from Amazon which is still just ordering from Archoil direct since Amazon doesn't actually stock thier product. They run different specials on Amazon and thier web page so check both before you order. It took about a week to get here but worth the wait.

Greg
    Thanks Greg

Yes Amazon, Direct from www.archoil.com and I think eBay. Most of it on Amazon is free shipping

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

By the way you guys are talking about Archoil, I would imagine it’s better than Diesel Kleen. That’s the only product I’ve used. Would you recommend switching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Ram 2500 Laramie, Taken care of by DRD, Carli Leveling Kit, RBP 94r 20x9 Wheels, and 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, too many to list...

7. Likes Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJohn104 View Post
    By the way you guys are talking about Archoil, I would imagine it’s better than Diesel Kleen. That’s the only product I’ve used. Would you recommend switching?

The only thing I'm not sure about is it's antigelling characteristics. But in my opinion it is better and more economical in the long run. You use very little.

I asked an Archoil rep to chime in here for me.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Thanks FarmerJohn104 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJohn104 View Post

I used to use Stanadyne before switching to Archoil. Both quieted the engine down when running winter fuel but Archoil just did it better and cheaper per tank. It doesn't get cold enough here to worry about gelling or waxing. What they put in at the refineary is enough.

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

11. Thanks FarmerJohn104 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Starting to sound like an advertisement for after market additives ...

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Starting to sound like an advertisement for after market additives ...
    It all started by me saying I was wrong. Shame on me

15. Top Of Page | #19
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Finally had a chance to print up and read the 12 pages, and it was interesting.

But this brings up thoughts and questions for me. It seems they only tested it on a fix frame engine and compared to owning it while using it is two different animals. This I’ve found out with the results with the testing at work. It gives a good look at what might be happening, ‘but can be’ very different that reality.

First thing I noticed was it never mention the make and year of the engine. This to me means a lot since there is a difference between the older engines and the newer models. And it only uses the ratio of 1:200 mixture.

In the information and testing I’ve read in the past, the older models, which ran on the sulfur fuel, when the new ULSD was introduced, the recommended ratio was 1:128, or one once per gallon.

The engines sold during the LSD era was designed for it, then when the ULSD was introduced, a ratio of 1:200 was recommended. That is ½ once per gallon of diesel.

So please correct me if I’m wrong, but the 2003 or the early 2004 was the last of the sulfur diesel, and the last of the LSD was the 2006.

From the 2007 and later models that were designed for the ULSD use only came to market, adding 2 stroke would be suicide for their EPA components.

And this was the first time I read a claim for better cetane.

Knowing many that uses the 2 stroke mixture, I’ve asked what was their issues, and found none. There were two that changed out their injectors, but that was due to them wanting larger ones, not injection problems. I did asked how the sleeves looked, and one said he had one that was getting questionable, but nothing else. (sorry I don’t remember the mileage they mentioned, but they were ‘round the 350k to 400k range. Lift pump issues or injection pump problems .. there were none mentioned. But I should mention ½ of the people I know have changed their lift pump to out of tank systems.

As for my truck, still stock on lift & injection pumps, injectors and most everything. All pressures are with in original tolerances. One thing I noticed when I started using 2 stroke at a 1:200 ratio was the noise under the hood got quieter. As of today, if another Cummins is next to me and running, I hear it more than mine. If a Ford is running next to me, I hardly hear mine.

And one question I have to ask. When using this mixture, and the engine piston rings wipe the cylinders, with over 100k miles, wouldn’t the zinc sooner or later migrate some to the oil ? I have no problem with my oil samples with zinc, and as of the last sample, I have 20k on this oil change. (I change when the samples tell me I’m heading close to the outer parameter of my oil requirements).

So I'm still not sure if this is now a bad thing for my engine. Injector cleaners like Archoil ? I'll use it with no complaints. But still not sold on stopping the 2 stroke yet ... for my 2006.

(sorry, I ramble sometimes)

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

16. Thanks Power247, Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes FarmerJohn104, Power247, Polaraco liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Finally had a chance to print up and read the 12 pages, and it was interesting.

But this brings up thoughts and questions for me. It seems they only tested it on a fix frame engine and compared to owning it while using it is two different animals. This I’ve found out with the results with the testing at work. It gives a good look at what might be happening, ‘but can be’ very different that reality.

First thing I noticed was it never mention the make and year of the engine. This to me means a lot since there is a difference between the older engines and the newer models. And it only uses the ratio of 1:200 mixture.

In the information and testing I’ve read in the past, the older models, which ran on the sulfur fuel, when the new ULSD was introduced, the recommended ratio was 1:128, or one once per gallon.

The engines sold during the LSD era was designed for it, then when the ULSD was introduced, a ratio of 1:200 was recommended. That is ½ once per gallon of diesel.

So please correct me if I’m wrong, but the 2003 or the early 2004 was the last of the sulfur diesel, and the last of the LSD was the 2006.

From the 2007 and later models that were designed for the ULSD use only came to market, adding 2 stroke would be suicide for their EPA components.

And this was the first time I read a claim for better cetane.

Knowing many that uses the 2 stroke mixture, I’ve asked what was their issues, and found none. There were two that changed out their injectors, but that was due to them wanting larger ones, not injection problems. I did asked how the sleeves looked, and one said he had one that was getting questionable, but nothing else. (sorry I don’t remember the mileage they mentioned, but they were ‘round the 350k to 400k range. Lift pump issues or injection pump problems .. there were none mentioned. But I should mention ½ of the people I know have changed their lift pump to out of tank systems.

As for my truck, still stock on lift & injection pumps, injectors and most everything. All pressures are with in original tolerances. One thing I noticed when I started using 2 stroke at a 1:200 ratio was the noise under the hood got quieter. As of today, if another Cummins is next to me and running, I hear it more than mine. If a Ford is running next to me, I hardly hear mine.

And one question I have to ask. When using this mixture, and the engine piston rings wipe the cylinders, with over 100k miles, wouldn’t the zinc sooner or later migrate some to the oil ? I have no problem with my oil samples with zinc, and as of the last sample, I have 20k on this oil change. (I change when the samples tell me I’m heading close to the outer parameter of my oil requirements).

So I'm still not sure if this is now a bad thing for my engine. Injector cleaners like Archoil ? I'll use it with no complaints. But still not sold on stopping the 2 stroke yet ... for my 2006.

(sorry, I ramble sometimes)
    Good analogy old poop

I was using it in the 08. But one thing that's not mentioned is the fuel filters turn black. @Canadiandiesel pointed out he felt the filters were removing allot of the properties we wanted before it reached the main pump. We bantered back and forth for a while about it. You'll have to search back for the thread. It's a couple of years old now.

This subject is not the first rodeo.

I don't know how I discovered the Archoil. . . . The fuel additive applies to this subject . I can tell you, between the oil modifier and the fuel, my engine is so quiet it's unbelieveable. You can hardly hear it. Only when it's cold is it noisy. And smooth? No diesel vibrations at all. I have noticed the fuel does not smell like fuel anymore. It's almost odorless. It feels strange in your fingers. Actually feels more slippery. Hard to explain.

The friction modifier actually feels like the oil is definitely more slippery. It's the first oil additive I have ever used that actually felt like it was working. The others I never went back too. But this stuff even sped up my air compressor. My Generac on 20 degree days spins like summer on the starter. Everything, mowers, snow blowers, That big 20KW genset, all start much faster because of that oil additive. I think in this case, you have to use the system, not just the fuel additive. The Ford Guys love that stuff because it eliminated the injector problems, so why not! It's really working well in the Cummins.

There's things to be said about both I guess.

18. Likes Power247 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast