Likes Likes:  58
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 5.9 cummins

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: 2006 5.9 cummins

Quote Originally Posted by david3gen View Post
    I know now thanks man This helps allot
    Its very cold in norway so i will get some batteries with all these specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just for the heck of it, did you happen to check the water in the batteries? I see you have those screw off caps. The plates have to be covered. It's not unusual for the acid to evaporate. It's used to bubbling when your charging. I've had to add water after a year on some batteries. Just a thought.

If you have them, Carquest and Advance Auto Parts have a 1000 CCA sealed battery that is priced pretty good. The ones I see in the picture, look like they have been around a while.

Your repair was done well. You really don't need new cables. Just smear some Vaseline on them to prevent corrosion. (Petroleum Jelly) Call it a day.

At this point, if it starts right up with a jump, then you need to focus on the batteries like Dan implied. Many times batteries are condemned because the water is low. I'd take a peak at the water level. It's free.

It could be a coincidence that the starter didn't work after the repair. Remember, the trucks been sitting a week. If you have a bad one, it will discharge just sitting there. It's hard to explain all this. Some day I'll write an article about Car Battery 101.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl, david3gen, Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

No i have’nt load tested my batteries. Not sure how t do it. But will look into it when i get home from work today

I have an idea for that. It's pretty accurate. Pull the headlights on with something in front of the truck to reflect the light so you can see it. Hit the starter. If they dim dramatically, the batteries are either low charged or toast. Go back to what I said before about checking the water.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Same here with my truck, happened over the weekend, the click click, had it jump started on Saturday, it was fine, then went to start it up on Sunday, the click click was back Took it in on Monday and had the batteries tested, one was weak so I had both replaced, now no more click click , one happy girl LOL

"Cumminsbadgirl"
    2014 Cummins Mega 3500 ( Aisin ) 4X4

2014 CUMMINS "BADGIRL" Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4 MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel *** EGR delete AFE CAI 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler 4" Zone lift, Federal Couragia 37’s with Black Rhinos,bed carpet kit, tail-gate assist, Retrax tunnau cover

Previous "Cummins Badgirls" :
    2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

6. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, AnOldBiker, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

2006 5.9 cummins

I was told since I live and work in the same town (10 min drive to work) that it isn’t enough to charge the batteries, I guess I need to find a job at least 30 minutes away or take the long way home every night LOL

"Cumminsbadgirl"

2014 CUMMINS "BADGIRL" Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4 MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel *** EGR delete AFE CAI 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler 4" Zone lift, Federal Couragia 37’s with Black Rhinos,bed carpet kit, tail-gate assist, Retrax tunnau cover

2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

8. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Just for the heck of it, did you happen to check the water in the batteries? I see you have those screw off caps. The plates have to be covered. It's not unusual for the acid to evaporate. It's used to bubbling when your charging. I've had to add water after a year on some batteries. Just a thought.

If you have them, Carquest and Advance Auto Parts have a 1000 CCA sealed battery that is priced pretty good. The ones I see in the picture, look like they have been around a while.

Your repair was done well. You really don't need new cables. Just smear some Vaseline on them to prevent corrosion. (Petroleum Jelly) Call it a day.

At this point, if it starts right up with a jump, then you need to focus on the batteries like Dan implied. Many times batteries are condemned because the water is low. I'd take a peak at the water level. It's free.

It could be a coincidence that the starter didn't work after the repair. Remember, the trucks been sitting a week. If you have a bad one, it will discharge just sitting there. It's hard to explain all this. Some day I'll write an article about Car Battery 101.
    Thank for all the great advice. My batteries are 8 years old. Water level is fine so if you think my cable repair is ok i’ll put my new ones on the shelf for now. What conserned me was the rough idle. But as Dan said it was because of my low amp. So i’m not worried about that now

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

10. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I have an idea for that. It's pretty accurate. Pull the headlights on with something in front of the truck to reflect the light so you can see it. Hit the starter. If they dim dramatically, the batteries are either low charged or toast. Go back to what I said before about checking the water.
    I had to turn off my headlights when i started up yesterday. Because i struggled a bit in the beginning. I had to rew it for a while to make her run properly. Then i turned on the lights and took it for a ride.

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

12. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsbadgirl View Post
    Same here with my truck, happened over the weekend, the click click, had it jump started on Saturday, it was fine, then went to start it up on Sunday, the click click was back Took it in on Monday and had the batteries tested, one was weak so I had both replaced, now no more click click , one happy girl LOL

"Cumminsbadgirl"
    Same here will be replacing both batteries.

14. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

I was told since I live and work in the same town (10 min drive to work) that it isn’t enough to charge the batteries, I guess I need to find a job at least 30 minutes away or take the long way home every night LOL

"Cumminsbadgirl"
    I use an other car for work so i have the same driving as you on my truck. A lot of short distances. But then again my batteries are 8 years old

16. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

I use an other car for work so i have the same driving as you on my truck. A lot of short distances. But then again my batteries are 8 years old

8 yrs is a good life span for batteries, my batteries were only 3 yrs old the new ones are 7 yr batteries with 2 yr free replacement then pro-rated after that so we shall see.

"Cumminsbadgirl"

2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

18. Likes david3gen liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

8 yrs is a good life span for batteries, my batteries were only 3 yrs old the new ones are 7 yr batteries with 2 yr free replacement then pro-rated after that so we shall see.

"Cumminsbadgirl"
    Yes i thought so too. But i guess you have bought a new truck before that

20. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast