Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Actuator Possibly Failed?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo Actuator Possibly Failed?

Good evening all,

I am having an issue with my truck..........it is a 2012 2500 fully deleted with a mini max tuner and a 5" straight pipe exhaust. A few weeks ago i started my truck and it sounded like it does during a cold start in the winter with the exhaust brake on (Like and F-16 was in the driveway), so i turned the truck off and checked my trouble codes. it threw codes P0102 & P2227, so i replaced both associated sensors and the problem continued. earlier this week i tore the intake apart and found that somehow oil got into the plug for the turbo actuator (This happened when either myself or previous owner spilled the oil filter during removal, this is the only possible option because the truck has no oil leaks). So this week i bought a new OEM plug kit for the turbo actuator and tonight i replaced the female plug on the wiring harness because it did not come with a male end plug that goes from the actuator to the female plug on the wiring harness. Is it possible the oil fried the male end plug also? is there a way to test the turbo actuator to see if it is the weak link? i want to make sure i test everything before i throw in the towel and buy a new turbo ( if it is the turbo actuator i plan on buying a 2nd gen turbo kit). i followed a wiring diagram when wiring the new plug back in so i know that is done correct, plus all of the trouble codes have gone away so I am pretty sure it is wired correctly which leads me to believe the actuator is shot. I just want some other opinions/insight before i throw in the towel. the truck runs fine without the actuator plugged in. is it okay to drive the truck without the actuator plugged in?

*Note: i cleaned the plug going to the turbo actuator thoroughly and there is no oil or residue on the prongs. Please help!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Actuator Possibly Failed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdowell11290 View Post
    Good evening all,

I am having an issue with my truck..........it is a 2012 2500 fully deleted with a mini max tuner and a 5" straight pipe exhaust. A few weeks ago i started my truck and it sounded like it does during a cold start in the winter with the exhaust brake on (Like and F-16 was in the driveway), so i turned the truck off and checked my trouble codes. it threw codes P0102 & P2227, so i replaced both associated sensors and the problem continued. earlier this week i tore the intake apart and found that somehow oil got into the plug for the turbo actuator (This happened when either myself or previous owner spilled the oil filter during removal, this is the only possible option because the truck has no oil leaks). So this week i bought a new OEM plug kit for the turbo actuator and tonight i replaced the female plug on the wiring harness because it did not come with a male end plug that goes from the actuator to the female plug on the wiring harness. Is it possible the oil fried the male end plug also? is there a way to test the turbo actuator to see if it is the weak link? i want to make sure i test everything before i throw in the towel and buy a new turbo ( if it is the turbo actuator i plan on buying a 2nd gen turbo kit). i followed a wiring diagram when wiring the new plug back in so i know that is done correct, plus all of the trouble codes have gone away so I am pretty sure it is wired correctly which leads me to believe the actuator is shot. I just want some other opinions/insight before i throw in the towel. the truck runs fine without the actuator plugged in. is it okay to drive the truck without the actuator plugged in?

*Note: i cleaned the plug going to the turbo actuator thoroughly and there is no oil or residue on the prongs. Please help!
    Update on this. I have tested every possible thing for this and I am certain it is the turbo actuator. Unplugged the actuator and the truck was drivable and and trouble codes went away. I am taking truck to a good local diesel mechanic just to verify if it is the actuator or not. If the actuator is shot I will be doing a second gen swap. Anyone on here have some good suggestions for a good 2nd second gen setup? I want something that will run good without changing injectors but I do plan on upgrading those in the future. I was looking at a BD super B467 setup I believe last night, i would look it up to make sure this is accurate but currently at the hospital getting ready for my daughter to be born.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. Likes Power247 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Update on this. I have tested every possible thing for this and I am certain it is the turbo actuator. Unplugged the actuator and the truck was drivable and and trouble codes went away. I am taking truck to a good local diesel mechanic just to verify if it is the actuator or not. If the actuator is shot I will be doing a second gen swap. Anyone on here have some good suggestions for a good 2nd second gen setup? I want something that will run good without changing injectors but I do plan on upgrading those in the future. I was looking at a BD super B467 setup I believe last night, i would look it up to make sure this is accurate but currently at the hospital getting ready for my daughter to be born.

*Edit this is what I was looking at BD-Power 1045740 Rumble B 2nd Gen S467 Turbo Kit 10-12 6.7L Dodge Cummins

5. Likes Power247 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Don't let your wife catch you looking at truck parts while she's in labor :spank:. LOL!!!

I have the same plans to do a 2nd gen swap when the factory turbo kicks out. BD makes a good kit. The new H&S kits look pretty nice too.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Likes Mcdowell11290, Polaraco, Rob See liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Don't let your wife catch you looking at truck parts while she's in labor :spank:. LOL!!!

I have the same plans to do a 2nd gen swap when the factory turbo kicks out. BD makes a good kit. The new H&S kits look pretty nice too.

Greg
    LOL yea she might not appreciate that. I'll check out the h&s kit also. I'll post about which way I decide to go.

9. Likes Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

LOL yea she might not appreciate that. I'll check out the h&s kit also. I'll post about which way I decide to go.

Double R Diesel just a video on the new H&S kit. Check out his YouTube page when you get a chance.

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

11. Likes Mcdowell11290 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Double R Diesel just a video on the new H&S kit. Check out his YouTube page when you get a chance.

Greg
    Will do, still got some time until the wife starts pushing LOL

13. Likes Power247 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Usually oil in the pressure side means you have a bad oil seal in the turbo. Sorry for the bad news. There's no real fix for it.

How many miles on the truck? Do you let the turbo spool down and cool off after a run? Or do you just shut it off? If you sit for a minute before shut down, you let the turbo spool down and cool down a bit. If you are like most people just shutting down, A turbo timer may be in order for you. I use mine religiously.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

15. Likes Mcdowell11290 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Usually oil in the pressure side means you have a bad oil seal in the turbo. Sorry for the bad news
    There isn't any oil in the pressure side. Oil somehow got into the actual plug housing where it plugs into the wiring harness.

17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

OK My Bad. Refresh my memory. Is the actuator plug mounted into the turbo? Or is it on a small pigtail? I forget. I haven't had a VGT for 5 years.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast