Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Actuator Possibly Failed?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Actuator Possibly Failed?

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    OK My Bad. Refresh my memory. Is the actuator plug mounted into the turbo? Or is it on a small pigtail? I forget. I haven't had a VGT for 5 years.
    It's on a pig tail that mounts to the frame by the oil filter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdowell11290 View Post
    It's on a pig tail that mounts to the frame by the oil filter.

Ahhh HAH! Maybe you dribbled some oil on the plug when changing the filter.

I just got my first 4th Gen oil change experience. I can see how that can easily happen. If I had a 4th gen, the first thing to be done would be a remote oil filter.

I'm assuming you have a 4th gen

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes Mcdowell11290 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Ahhh HAH! Maybe you dribbled some oil on the plug when changing the filter.

I just got my first 4th Gen oil change experience. I can see how that can easily happen. If I had a 4th gen, the first thing to be done would be a remote oil filter.

I'm assuming you have a 4th gen
    Yes I have a 4th gen. I'm pretty sure that it happened during an oil change that is the only thing I can think of

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Yes I have a 4th gen. I'm pretty sure that it happened during an oil change that is the only thing I can think of

Never mess with the old man. Sounds like the problem is solved. Doesn't say much for the weathertight connector though.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Never mess with the old man. Sounds like the problem is solved. Doesn't say much for the weathertight connector though.
    The cause of the issue was found but the problem isn't solved LOL. I found an OEM plug and replaced the damaged one and the issue is still present so i think the actuator has gone bad.

7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

The cause of the issue was found but the problem isn't solved LOL. I found an OEM plug and replaced the damaged one and the issue is still present so i think the actuator has gone bad.

I forgot about that. You can use some compressed air to test the actuator. It's not the first time.

8. Likes Mcdowell11290, david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I forgot about that. You can use some compressed air to test the actuator. It's not the first time.
    What is the process for doing that?

10. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

What is the process for doing that?

Take the hose off the turbo housing and squirt some air into it. See if the actuator moves.

I strongly urge you put a pressure regulator on the line. Set it for 25 PSI.

11. Likes david3gen, Mcdowell11290 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Update on this. i had my local diesel shop check out the turbo actuator to see if it is the issue or not and it is in fact the problem. it is stuck at 70%, i opted not to mess with it and instead get rid of the VGT all together so that i don't run into this problem again. sometime this week i will be ordering the H&S SX-E turbo kit and the MM3 from Double R Diesel, hopefully i will be able to get everything installed next weekend. if anyone is interested i will post some pics and maybe a video.

13. Likes Power247 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Update on this. i had my local diesel shop check out the turbo actuator to see if it is the issue or not and it is in fact the problem. it is stuck at 70%, i opted not to mess with it and instead get rid of the VGT all together so that i don't run into this problem again. sometime this week i will be ordering the H&S SX-E turbo kit and the MM3 from Double R Diesel, hopefully i will be able to get everything installed next weekend. if anyone is interested i will post some pics and maybe a video.
    Sorry to hear the actuator is the issue but I like your direction to replace it. I'm definitely interested in your review once you get the hang&S kit installed.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

15. Thanks Mcdowell11290 thanked for this post
    Likes Mcdowell11290 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast