Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Steering wheel swap from Rubber to Leather

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Steering wheel swap from Rubber to Leather

So a few months ago I swapped my Tradesman vinyl(rubber) wheel for a Laramie Leather wheel with the audio controls on the backside and lately i've been noticing the airbag is loose and sometimes when I'm turning the wheel the airbag thumps down when turning. I don't know why it would be loose and all of the loops behind the bag are attached to the hook points on the wheel. Any suggestions on what to check or any adjustments that can be made to tighten it up? Both wheels are from 2016 Ram 2500's

On the left is the old vinyl wheel and the right is the leather wheel

wheel.jpg

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Steering wheel swap from Rubber to Leather

Did the metal bracket get put back in between the wheel and bolt before you put the bag in

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Steering wheel swap from Rubber to Leather

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    Did the metal bracket get put back in between the wheel and bolt before you put the bag in
    Yes I forgot it at first and had to take the center airbag and center bolt back out a second time but it’s definitely in there no extra parts after the install, it’s the bag itself that is just loose and moves around a lot with light pressure and turning of the wheel

Only thing I noticed I didn’t do now was torque the center bolt to 35ft/lbs I just hand tightened with a ratchet to my hand torque spec which probably isn’t 35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

By hand you with a 3/8" you can get pretty close to that. 1/2" for sure

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    By hand you with a 3/8" you can get pretty close to that. 1/2" for sure
    I pretty sure I used a 1/2 to get some leverage so then I’m guessing I’m close enough on the torque spec I just can’t figure out why it’s so loose like something is missing behind the airbag but I know it’s not because everything went back in like it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk