Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: taking out the factory turbo silencer.

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: taking out the factory turbo silencer.

Just for the record I have had 0 negatives from this.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

2. Thanks DRD, RamIt, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, RamIt, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Forum member @brandonjansen has had his removed on his 2012 for some time. I tune his truck and I've never heard of any issue from him.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, RamIt, brandonjansen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    Just for the record I have had 0 negatives from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    Forum member @brandonjansen has had his removed on his 2012 for some time. I tune his truck and I've never heard of any issue from him.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC

www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    I guess things have changed somehow. If we did it in a 3rd gen, there were issues. Maybe I'm just too out of date. Hell I was one of the pioneers of the EGR and DPF removal. Did BETA for H & S.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    http://www.thedieselstop.com/archive...o=&fpart=1.htm

Discuss. As I mentioned, diesels do not inherently pull a vacuum as they do not have a throttle plate. A topic covered at lengths on that forum.

The manifold sees atmospheric pressure until the turbo creates positive pressure.

Sent from my plastic box that I poke with my thumbs
    Yes correct

But with the restriction of the air filter the turbo creates a vacuum on the compressor inlet "between air filter and turbocharger where the silencer ring goes

Probably working on something

8. Likes RamIt liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I guess things have changed somehow. If we did it in a 3rd gen, there were issues. Maybe I'm just too out of date. Hell I was one of the pioneers of the EGR and DPF removal. Did BETA for H & S.
    Mine is 3rd gen with silencer removed without any issue

10. Likes RamIt liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

taking out the factory turbo silencer.

Relief cuts may be what solves this debate but at what cost why not just drill a few holes in the silencer you could start small and go bigger for more noise

The silencer ring has no affect on turbo surge. Surge is when the air leaving the turbo gets backed up because the engine is not consuming all the air coming into it or if the turbo gets over spun , too many rpm

12. Likes RamIt liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Are you talking about the silence ring or the VGT assembly? We're talking VGT

You won't have any issues with the silence ring that you can easily see. You're interrupting the air flow now.

I've been doing this stuff for a very long time

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Just to jump in on this... As Ray stated I have mine removed. It's been out for almost 2 years now, 50,000+ km and I haven't had a single issue. The turbo is definitely louder, there's doubt about that. I haven't noticed any issues with surging, performance, or any of that. Now that being said, if I was to do it again I wouldn't full remove the ring AND inducer like I did (because that's all I had information on). I would have machined the silencer ring off the inducer to get the best of both worlds. Then you get the noise we all (or most us) want but still have the ventury effect of the inducer. That's something I may still do as I do have the ring still sitting in my shop. It's just something I haven't got around to yet.

16. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Are you talking about the silence ring or the VGT assembly? We're talking VGT

You won't have any issues with the silence ring that you can easily see. You're interrupting the air flow now.

I've been doing this stuff for a very long time
    Nope not talking about the VGT. Talking about the ring in the mouth of the compressor. The one that used to be c clipped in and is now held in with 3 pins that have to be drilled out.

Btw, @Polaraco thanks are in order for being involved with the egr/DPF deletes. Best thing to ever happen!
    @dmuney the drilling of the ring falls in line with the topic of discussion about its removal. If the ring is solely there for NVH, then removing it should have no ill effect on function and would mean the relief cuts wouldn't be necessary in the first place.

I still haven't heard back from holset, probably due to the holiday.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

18. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    Yes correct

But with the restriction of the air filter the turbo creates a vacuum on the compressor inlet "between air filter and turbocharger where the silencer ring goes

That mercury reading would be negligible at best though. And rays truck is the only one I've ever seen pull a negative number for boost on the ultra.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast