Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  39
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: taking out the factory turbo silencer.

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: taking out the factory turbo silencer.

The reason it's an age old question with no real answers, is because some say it's had no I'll effect on the VGT, and others say it was a performance loss. I aplaud your effort, but good luck getting holset to say anything other than absolutely not. And for the record my opinion is the same. Leave it alone. Now the foam silencer in the intake tube, that someone else mentioned, in my opinion is ok to remove, and I have done that. But the silencer ring itself, I say no.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

2. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

I appreciate the opinions and feedback from everyone. But at the end of the day allow me to clarify my point here. I did not ask Holset about removing the ring. I didn't ask them for their opinions on that either. I also did not question any immaterial performance gains from removing it or otherwise.

I specifically asked them if they would provide me with a technologically adequate answer to the rings intended purpose. My goal is to put the debate to rest in regards to the "experts".

The inlet nozzle of the HE351VE (which by the way isn't even listed on Holsets website) is shaped like a venturi. (See Lamborghini intake plenum design). Now in my experience, turbulence pre turbo is an irrelevant point and until I see flowbench numbers stating otherwise, I will continue to believe that.

Considering the fact that a venturi requires vacuum to actually work, and our engines do not produce such a thing, leads me to believe that the "venturi effect" claims are moot.

For the anti surge claimers, please consider the fact that anti surge housings have been around for years and our housing is not designed like that in any way shape or form and our turbos still "bark" even with the ring still in.

Both of these points lead me to believe that the ring is there for NVH reasons alone. However, this is, again, the reason I asked for holset to weigh on the matter.

Sent from my plastic box that I poke with my thumbs

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Oh it's just the engineer in me. Been doing it for 40 years.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RATLIN'HP, RamIt liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

That's what a ventouri does. Create vacuum. Like a carburetor. The faster the flow, the higher the vacuum. There is vacuum before the turbo. Lots of it

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
    Likes RATLIN'HP liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Being that it is something that has to be drilled out, and can't just be put right back in if the truck don't like, and the fact that I may have read just 4 or 5 horror stories, is "technically" all the "technology" I need to know LOL. But again good luck with your search for more info straight from the source. If the silencer ring don't hold any super secrets to the design of their turbos, they may give you more info than I think.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

10. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Ok so the air being sucked into the turbo is just that only factor with the air flow is the speed of the turbocharger. Think about it like this how man CFM can a turbo inhale , now how many CFM can flow through a given size pipe say 4" ? Or you can even take a small block Chevrolet for instance we tried different intake manifold and cylinder head combinations the best flow we had it was when we did not match the ports, so if we left the cylinder head a little bit smaller than the intake is where we got the best results and we're talking a 454 small block Chevy producing well over 800hp. So no the silencer ring does nothing to help flow . Air flows the fastest in the center of whatever it flows through the outside is slightly turbulent but insufficient enough to cause any flow change.

Probably working on something

12. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    I appreciate the opinions and feedback from everyone. But at the end of the day allow me to clarify my point here. I did not ask Holset about removing the ring. I didn't ask them for their opinions on that either. I also did not question any immaterial performance gains from removing it or otherwise.

I specifically asked them if they would provide me with a technologically adequate answer to the rings intended purpose. My goal is to put the debate to rest in regards to the "experts".

The inlet nozzle of the HE351VE (which by the way isn't even listed on Holsets website) is shaped like a venturi. (See Lamborghini intake plenum design). Now in my experience, turbulence pre turbo is an irrelevant point and until I see flowbench numbers stating otherwise, I will continue to believe that.

Considering the fact that a venturi requires vacuum to actually work, and our engines do not produce such a thing, leads me to believe that the "venturi effect" claims are moot.

For the anti surge claimers, please consider the fact that anti surge housings have been around for years and our housing is not designed like that in any way shape or form and our turbos still "bark" even with the ring still in.

Both of these points lead me to believe that the ring is there for NVH reasons alone. However, this is, again, the reason I asked for holset to weigh on the matter.

Venturies do require a vacuumed to work what do you think happens between the air filter and the inlet of the turbocharger. A vacume

14. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    Centuries do require a vacuumed to work what do you think happens between the air filter and the inlet of the turbocharger. A vacume

http://www.thedieselstop.com/archive...o=&fpart=1.htm

Discuss. As I mentioned, diesels do not inherently pull a vacuum as they do not have a throttle plate. A topic covered at lengths on that forum.

The manifold sees atmospheric pressure until the turbo creates positive pressure.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

15. Likes RATLIN'HP liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Little late here but this is a great topic!

I've SEEN guys do this and no problems... and HEARD of guys doing this and having problems. So, you be the judge.

I personally love compressor whistle and hate the fact the HE351VE is sooo quiet!

I think the proper (not easiest) way to do this is to machine relief cuts in the silencer. That way you can leave enough bore into the compressor to possibly smooth air flow but allow the sound waves from the compressor wheel to be heard.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

17. Thanks RamIt, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    Little late here but this is a great topic!

I've SEEN guys do this and no problems... and HEARD of guys doing this and having problems. So, you be the judge.

I personally love compressor whistle and hate the fact the HE351VE is sooo quiet!

I think the proper (not easiest) way to do this is to machine relief cuts in the silencer. That way you can leave enough bore into the compressor to possibly smooth air flow but allow the sound waves from the compressor wheel to be heard.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    Ray,

I've heard about the relief cuts as well, not a bad idea, just a tad bit expensive for a simple piece of metal.

There is a lot of controversy about surging and what not happening post removal, but I'm more inclined to believe that the surging already existed and the removal of the silencer exacerbated the issue.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

19. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast