Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P0841 code after 68RFE oil and filter change

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

P0841 code after 68RFE oil and filter change

Yesterday, I did a little maintenance on my truck. I bought it used and I do not think that the transmission or differentials had ever been serviced. After the filter change, and replacing with fresh fluid, I drove it about 50 miles. The truck drove fine, line pressure was good and temp was also. This morning, I started the truck to warm it. It warned for about 5 minutes, then I out ut in reverse and I noticed that it revved up but didn't move very quickly. Almost like I had the ebrake engaged. Once I put it in drive, it went straight to 4th and would ot move at all. DTC is p0841. I tried checking the fluid level but I can't get the truck to go into Neutral or any gear to get a good reading, just looks to show high from whats in the pan. Any ideas?

Sent from my Samsung Note 4

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

You didn't pinch any wires with the cover did you?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I've looked over it twice and do not see where anything may have been pinched but I will check again. I idled it for about 15 minutes last night in neutral while checking the pan level as I added the fluid. Then i put about 50 miles on it. Everything worked great last night. I also noticed that the exhaust brake did not kick in this morning while idling. It was 55 degrees out.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You didn't pinch any wires with the cover did you?
    I forgot to tag you...

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, theaaronbush thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I'll be dropping the pan this evening to inspect the filters...maybe the one came unseated

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@theaaronbush Check the the little small canister filter...they are known to crack.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

14. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    @theaaronbush Check the the little small canister filter...they are known to crack.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    Thanks Ray, I'll be checking both of them shortly!

16. Likes DRD liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    Good thing you know the 68. I understand how they work, but don't know the quirks.

18. Likes DRD liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I wasn't able to crawl under the truck last night because it started raining but I did first thing this morning after I brought the kids to school. The pop in filter seal had come out. I already purchased an extra set of filters so I took both out and replaced them again. This time, I took the seal off of the filter before installing it. I pushed the seal into the hole and used a large socket and hammer to tap it completely in then popped the new filter in. It's not going anywhere now. I guess I learned the hard way but the code cleared and it's driving great! The trans fluid that was in the tranny must have been original even though the dealer that I bought my truck from claimed that they changed both filters prior to me buying the truck. That RTV was atrocious and a you know what to clean off! Line pressure in 5th and 6th is also up! Holding around 160-170psi! Up from around 120 psi!

20. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, IGOTACUMMINS, Power247, fourteen liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast