Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help I'm stumped

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Help I'm stumped

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Let's start with the obvious stuff first:
    You know you aren't getting 12v+ to the fuel pump. (The fuel level sensor should not be registering voltage as it is a resistance based sensor)
    So start at the top, is the fuse blown?

If the fuse is good, move on to the relay; since testing the relay manually is annoying, replace fuel pump relay with known good relay and attempt to crank.

If you still dont get the fuel pump on, find a way to run 12v+ to the fuel pump to ensure that the pump does in fact work.
    If it does (which it should if its new), then your issue lies in the power delivery to the pump. If you put 12v+ to the fuel pump and it still doesn't kick over, you likely have an open ground.

I'm ignoring the ECU aspect at the moment only because if the ECU was dead, the truck likely wouldn't even crank.
    Fuses are all good and I cant find the relay! Everything I find says it doesn't have one it has a fuel control module

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins_mumma View Post
    Fuses are all good and I cant find the relay! Everything I find says it doesn't have one it has a fuel control module

Ah thats my fault, my apologies.

The FPC is located on the chassis back quarter drivers side near the tube cross member for chassis on top of chassis rail near bed mount. locate the rear springs front perch and it will be above that on top of rail. See if you're getting power there.

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

The FPC is located on the chassis back quarter drivers side near the tube cross member for chassis on top of chassis rail near bed mount. locate the rear springs front perch and it will be above that on top of rail. See if you're getting power there.

not high jacking thread but trying to help and remembering when I had a 2004.5 . but I'm not remembering what a FPC is. I know there is a FCA fuel control actuator but that is mounted on the injection pump (CP3)

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Hey everyone! I need some suggestions!

Last Thursday on my way home from work I found myself being left stranded on the side of the hwy!

Truck bogged out and then has not started since she cranks but she dont catch!

So we attempted process of elimination can not hear fuel pump in the tank... let's replace it just incase. We replace it. She cranks but no bite again! Started testing wires at the fuel pump only 1 of 4 has power ( the fuel level sensor) is there a relay somewhere I am missing?

My next guess is possibly ecm?

Truck info :

2004 dodge ram 3500 5.9 auto 4x4 quad cab short box. With smarty

Any suggestions ideas solutions are welcomed!

If the pump is mounted on the filter, you have a very early 04.

That said, is suppose you don't know the pump was bad for sure? If it was, to bleed out the fuel in the rail. It won't even burp until you do.

You have to keep cycling the pump until it is purged. To do that Turn the key into the run position and wait 30 seconds. Then just tap the starter and wait another 30. You'll have to do that 6 or 7 times before you try to start it again. You could loosen an injector line to make sure you have fuel flowing, but I would do that only with the proper tools.

If that fails, get a piece of paper and a crayon. Flip the ignition key on and off 3 times, then read the codes flashing in the gauge cluster. While the ECM's threw red herring codes back then, the engine codes were pretty reliable.

BTW Did you happen to check the fuse? Use a test light across the fuse with the key on.

I'll leave a light on for ya.

DUDE! I gotta send you to Cummins school. LOL @Dude's Diesel Performance

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    not high jacking thread but trying to help and remembering when I had a 2004.5 . but I'm not remembering what a FPC is. I know there is a FCA fuel control actuator but that is mounted on the injection pump (CP3)
    FPC, probably should've put a U on the end. Fuel Pump Control Unit.

7. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    If the pump is mounted on the filter, you have a very early 04.

That said, is suppose you don't know the pump was bad for sure? If it was, to bleed out the fuel in the rail. It won't even burp until you do.

You have to keep cycling the pump until it is purged. To do that Turn the key into the run position and wait 30 seconds. Then just tap the starter and wait another 30. You'll have to do that 6 or 7 times before you try to start it again. You could loosen an injector line to make sure you have fuel flowing, but I would do that only with the proper tools.

If that fails, get a piece of paper and a crayon. Flip the ignition key on and off 3 times, then read the codes flashing in the gauge cluster. While the ECM's threw red herring codes back then, the engine codes were pretty reliable.

BTW Did you happen to check the fuse? Use a test light across the fuse with the key on.

I'll leave a light on for ya.

DUDE! I gotta send you to Cummins school. LOL @Dude's Diesel Performance
    Yes fuses have been checked and I cant find the fpc ( anyone got a pic of what it looks like as Google doesn't even show me!) It wasnt out of fuel at all! Just gave me the symptoms it was. I have checked the codes that was done on the side of the hwy when I was waiting for the tow truck! ... no codes at all none on the dash none on the smarty.

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Yes fuses have been checked and I cant find the fpc ( anyone got a pic of what it looks like as Google doesn't even show me!) It wasnt out of fuel at all! Just gave me the symptoms it was. I have checked the codes that was done on the side of the hwy when I was waiting for the tow truck! ... no codes at all none on the dash none on the smarty.

I know alot about these and everyone can tell you I sure know how to diagnose and fix these darned things. Hell, in some cases I can tell you the wrench sizes. But I am unfamiliar with the acronym "FPC". What is that? I forget more in my advanced youth. LOL @AnOldBiker

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

FPC, probably should've put a U on the end. Fuel Pump Control Unit.

Never mind, Ram-it said it. POST JUMPER! LOL I'll look in the FSM for this later. 03 to 05 are the same except for the fuel pumps.

I'll look in the FSM when I get back from the doctors for you. But for some reason, I believe it's in the ECU

12. Thanks RamIt, Cummins_mumma thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt, Cummins_mumma liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #19
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    ..... But I am unfamiliar with the acronym "FPC". What is that? I forget more in my advanced youth. LOL @AnOldBiker

Didn't know what a FPC was either. All these acronyms are driving me crazy.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

14. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I have an 03, which is identical to his. There is nothing up there. It's just a simple wiring system from the fuse box relay to the pump. When I installed my FASS many moons ago, I just plugged the FASS harness into the plug from the pump, located where his is. I've been all over that truck since. There's nothing back there except the harness for the fuel gauge. You sure that's not a Chebby or Ford? Or maybe they have something for the in tank retro from the recall? He says he has an external pump on the filter. Manual shift vs. Automatic?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast