Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drive Pressure

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Drive Pressure

Hi all, I have 2014 2500, deleted with drd tunes, the other day I had the whistle tune on and was cruising at 45 in 5th gear and I was only on the gas around 7% the vanes were at 80% closed and my boost was at around 3 and my drive pressure was up around 25 30 just wounding if that’s normal?

As soon as I’d get on the gas more and the vanes would open a little the drive pressure would match the boost.

Also the exhaust brake was on auto.

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Drive Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Abgunnar View Post
    Hi all, I have 2014 2500, deleted with drd tunes, the other day I had the whistle tune on and was cruising at 45 in 5th gear and I was only on the gas around 7% the vanes were at 80% closed and my boost was at around 3 and my drive pressure was up around 25 30 just wounding if that’s normal?

As soon as I’d get on the gas more and the vanes would open a little the drive pressure would match the boost.

Let's ask @Double R Diesel?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Likes Abgunnar liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Drive Pressure

That is normal for the whistle tune. We close up the turbo at low rpm/low load to make the turbo whistle. Once you get into the throttle the turbo will open up as need be.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Abgunnar, TheJonJon thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Drive Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    That is normal for the whistle tune. We close up the turbo at low rpm/low load to make the turbo whistle. Once you get into the throttle the turbo will open up as need be.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel
    Thank you Ray,
    what is a high drive pressure?

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Drive Pressure

Thank you Ray,
    what is a high drive pressure?
    The answer is a little complex. Ideally you want boost and drive the same. However with the restrictive nature of the factory manifold and turbo, drive will most often be higher that boost. If you don't have head studs, you would be best to keep drive pressure less than around 65 psi under WOT. Under exhaust braking, drive or back pressure is fine up towards 80 psi. This is not an exact science but just a general rule. High performance setups often make higher drive pressures, but boost is right along with it on an efficient turbo setup. My white 17 truck makes around 80 psi of boost at full tilt and the drive hovers around 80 psi at the same boost.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Drive Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    The answer is a little complex. Ideally you want boost and drive the same. However with the restrictive nature of the factory manifold and turbo, drive will most often be higher that boost. If you don't have head studs, you would be best to keep drive pressure less than around 65 psi under WOT. Under exhaust braking, drive or back pressure is fine up towards 80 psi. This is not an exact science but just a general rule. High performance setups often make higher drive pressures, but boost is right along with it on an efficient turbo setup. My white 17 truck makes around 80 psi of boost at full tilt and the drive hovers around 80 psi at the same boost.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel
    Thanks for the answer Ray, you are the best.

10. Thanks DRD, cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, cumminsdieselfreak, Thundervee liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Drive Pressure

So I have a 2011 deleted and tuned and when I'm at 15 psi boost I'm seeing almost 28 psi in exhaust pressure is this normal?

What do I need to do to fix this if this is going to cause issues?

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Drive Pressure

Who tuned your truck?

But on the note of drive pressure monitoring do we know if what the MM3 says for drive pressure is accurate? -/+ … If people are using the MM3 to monitor drive pressure. I don't think it has a PID that is drive pressure. drive pressure and exhaust pressure are not the same

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 02-25-2020 at 09:50 PM. Reason: add.
    2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

13. Likes Abgunnar liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

Drive Pressure

Does anyone have an answer on the MM3 drive pressure/exhaust pressure question?

Looking to better monitor drive pressure, my understanding is the MM3 won't monitor.

Thanks

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Re: Drive Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by apos0311 View Post
    Does anyone have an answer on the MM3 drive pressure/exhaust pressure question?

Looking to better monitor drive pressure, my understanding is the MM3 won't monitor.

Thanks
    To my knowledge the MM3 doesn't have the capability to read drive pressure.

Most people go with an analog gauge from attometer or isspro.

Shoot me a pm or email if you wanna get some prices.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Likes Abgunnar, Corkey liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast