Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1999 Dodge 2500 Not starting

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

1999 Dodge 2500 Not starting

I have my 99 Dodge with 163k miles on it. Original owner. Last night we were hitting some trails out here in Arizona and it was getting hot. Well driving slowly through the trails and my truck got a little hot. Shut it down for a couple of minutes. Went to fire it back up and got nothing. My starter relay is clicking. Tried to jump the starter solenoid and got nothing but a groan. Replaced the starter and still nothing. Was able to jump the solenoid and got it fired up to drive home. On the way I realized I now have no speedometer, I have a CEL, my power windows won't work, power door locks will unlock but not lock and my overhead console is stuck reading 121 degrees. I have worked at multiple Dodge dealers over the years and have never crossed this before. Before I rip into it this weekend, can anyone point me in the right direction at what may have caused this? I would like to get my truck back up and running quickly as I hate driving a car every day. Thanks for any input.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins/Automatic/Edge Attitude w/ Juice CTS/4" MBRP Exhaust/AFE Cold Air Intake/AFE Bladerunner Intake

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: 1999 Dodge 2500 Not starting

Way back I had a pickup that sort of did this. Some of the issue you mention, but not that many. I checked the battery and it was weak. After changing it with a new one, no problems. How's the battery and connections ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Way back I had a pickup that sort of did this. Some of the issue you mention, but not that many. I checked the battery and it was weak. After changing it with a new one, no problems. How's the battery and connections ?
    Batteries are great and connections are all good to go.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Did you have the Batt checked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marvincameron View Post
    Did you have the Batt checked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with this question. They should be tested. I also suggest you clean all the terminals.

That's a 12 valve? Or a 99 1/2? What's the code?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Got it fixed. Again, the batteries are fine. Nothing wrong with them or connections at batteries. Fuse for Ignition Run cracked. It still looked good with a visual inspection but as soon as I tested to see if power was coming out, nothing. Put in a good fuse and it fired up and everything worked great.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMA12 View Post
    Got it fixed. Again, the batteries are fine. Nothing wrong with them or connections at batteries. Fuse for Ignition Run cracked. It still looked good with a visual inspection but as soon as I tested to see if power was coming out, nothing. Put in a good fuse and it fired up and everything worked great.
    Well done @DMA12 sometimes it's the simple things, glad you got 'er going again.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMA12 View Post
    ...Got it fixed. .... Fuse for Ignition Run cracked. It still looked good with a visual inspection but as soon as I tested to see if power was coming out, nothing. Put in a good fuse and it fired up and everything worked great.

Great. But what I hate to ask, but will, I wonder what cause the fuse to crack ? Hope it was a manufacture defect and not happen again.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Great. But what I hate to ask, but will, I wonder what cause the fuse to crack ? Hope it was a manufacture defect and not happen again.
    I was out on some trails in the middle of the desert. It was 107 degrees and a lot of vibration. Considering these fuses are all the originals, it isn't a big surprise to me at all.