Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter removal tips

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil filter removal tips

I just wanted to post a quick tip I'm not sure everyone knows. I was reading a thread here last week that of course I can't find, but a few mentioned the difficulty reaching and removing the filters on the 4th gen trucks. It had been a year since I did my first oil change so I didn't chime in but I didn't remember there being any issues. I know some suggest wrapping a zip lock bag around the filter etc...my brother works at a truck shop and taught me this trick. On my '13, I reach the filter from under the truck without any problem, not thru the fender well or anything . Hopefully the filter is only hand tight. Loosen it just a little bit to make sure it will come off. Then I take a big alignment bar about 2 feet long with a sharp point. I put a long trans oil funnel up there and it stays there on its own. There is room to put the bar beside it and up to the bottom of the filter and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain into the funnel above the drain pan. That keeps the oil from running down the front suspension linkage and making a mess. Once the filter stops draining, there will be more once you completely break the seal so keep the funnel there and let the remainder drain out. Not rocket science but it makes the job a lot cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

2. Thanks RATLIN'HP, theaaronbush, Polaraco thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Oil filter removal tips

����

4. Top Of Page | #3

Nice!

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I'm going to try genos filter cap next time I do mine, and go through the fender. I've been pretty sucessful going trough there with a zip lock. However my A/C quit working early this summer, and whatever the dealer found wrong, (can't remember now), but it was in that area. And it just makes me wonder if I broke something monkeying that filter out that hole.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

6. Likes Noneck liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I do mine after its been driven so the oil is hot. This way you're not laying on the tire and reaching into hot engine areas as much.

8. Thanks DUST1N thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

(I'm so happy I have an older truck after seeing this.)

Might I ask, on these newer trucks, if you wait, say 15 minutes after running the truck, then pull the filter, is it still that full it leaks ? (15 minutes isn't that long of a time to wait)

When I change filter, I wait 15 minutes after shutdown and pull the filter. There is not one drop of oil falling, and the liquid level inside the filter is about 3/4" below the opening.
    The engine oil in the oil pan is still hot enough to make you cuss if you get it on your hands, so there is a real good flow.
    And I do not lightly put on the filter when installing. I tighten as much as I can, hand tight.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It will have less the longer you wait. Problem is it needs to turn complete sideways to come out the fender. So punching hole, zip lock, filter cap, or something needs to be done before doing so. I haven't looked at pulling the air box and going at it from there, but some people do.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

11. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Is there a large enough plastic panel where you can cut an opening, form fit a panel of sheet metal to cover it until oil changes ?
    Where you can remove and pull the filter through without spilling ?

I had an old cougar with a 351 cleaveland that I couldn't get the center two plugs on each side. I made a sheet metal panel that I removed, pulled the spark plugs and sealed when done. Made life easy.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Here's a pic with inner fender that looks to be partially removed, (not my pic). But as you can see filter needs to turn sideways to come out of there no matter how big the opening. Only other way is up removing air box and intake tube first. Maybe just intake tube, I've never really looked at doing it that way much.

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Easy from the bottom and it comes straight down, I drain it because I always end up spilling or slipping though. It's probably sat 10 minutes before I get it all set and in the air on the lift. @AnOldBiker No idea if oil would be lower than the top of filter cause I've always punched the hole and drained it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast