Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Over-Pressuring Your Tires

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Over-Pressuring Your Tires

I came across the following article the other day while researching something else, I hadn't planned to ask if anyone has tried this until I saw @RamIt s post about the high pressures in his tires from the factory.

It's a long read, but interesting to say the least.

If anyone has tried it, what were your results?

http://performanceunlimited.com/tire...MPGArticle.pdf

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Over-Pressuring Your Tires

Yes, I've tried it. No, I don't recommend it.

Your net gain isn't significant enough to justify it. Ultimately, any money you'd save on fuel by improving fuel economy, you will lose through premature wear of your tires. Additionally, from a safety perspective it's not worth it. As you saw in my post, my tires were ~34psi over inflated from the factory. My guess is that they pumped them up to 100psi before going on the rail (TPMS maxes at 99); this is done to prevent flat spotting of the tires in transit and you should absolutely not drive on that much air.

My truck was all over the road, and I'm very lucky that none of the tires popped (it was 115* outside the day I noticed how much air was in them, and I was doing 75 on the highway).

My educated & professional opinion is to run what the sticker on the door says...or the recommended pressure from the tire manufacturer.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post

Your net gain isn't significant enough to justify it. Ultimately, any money you'd save on fuel by improving fuel economy, you will lose through premature wear of your tires. Additionally, from a safety perspective it's not worth it. As you saw in my post, my tires were ~34psi over inflated from the factory. My guess is that they pumped them up to 100psi before going on the rail (TPMS maxes at 99); this is done to prevent flat spotting of the tires in transit and you should absolutely not drive on that much air.

My truck was all over the road, and I'm very lucky that none of the tires popped (it was 115* outside the day I noticed how much air was in them, and I was doing 75 on the highway).

My educated & professional opinion is to run what the sticker on the door says...or the recommended pressure from the tire manufacturer.
    Holy smokes!! Talk about riding on rocks! LOL 80psi is way too much for me!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Holy smokes!! Talk about riding on rocks! LOL 80psi is way too much for me!
    Oh yeah it was horrible. And a bit scary too cause the truck was all over the road.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Oh yeah it was horrible. And a bit scary too cause the truck was all over the road.
    I was going to say that. Wait until you drive it in snow! Yikes!!!

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Likes RamIt, watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I was going to say that. Wait until you drive it in snow! Yikes!!!
    Hard pass

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@RamIt I don't disagree with your comments on your situation,
    Even the author was skeptical at the start. But like he says, you can't argue with results.

Page 3, he writes of an inreased mileage of 2.1mpg (27.2%). Doesn't sound like much, but when you're GCWR is >25k, that's pretty significant
    Page 4, he discussed tire wear
    @Polaraco see page 2, snow, slush and ice are mentioned as well

Give it a read, like I said... interesting

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Over-Pressuring Your Tires

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    @RamIt I don't disagree with your comments on your situation,
    Even the author was skeptical at the start. But like he says, you can't argue with results.

Page 3, he writes of an inreased mileage of 2.1mpg (27.2%). Doesn't sound like much, but when you're GCWR is >25k, that's pretty significant
    Page 4, he discussed tire wear
    @Polaraco see page 2, snow, slush and ice are mentioned as well

Give it a read, like I said... interesting
    Oh no, I read it. But I don't agree with it.

And I seriously question the results listed, especially tire wear. He's trying to articulate tire wear over a period of time that equates to less than 1% of total estimated life of the tires. Beyond that, even his own test showed that the mileage results went downhill, sharply. I promise you running that much air over the life of the tire will 10000% ruin those tires well before their actual lifespan limit.

Beyond that its just a major safety risk.

The tires have a load limit and pressure limit for a reason, exceeding them is just asking for trouble.

I don't think the trade off of 2.1mpg is worth the risk.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes 4kids2dogs&RV, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

Your post just answered a question I had when I bought my new truck.

I got home and realized I had 100psi in all 4 tires, figured the dealer prep kids did it.

Luckily, only drove 30 miles or so.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why they would do that!

17. Likes RamIt, watersupply189 liked this post