Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Battery Voltage?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Battery Voltage?

Can someone explain why the battery voltage is so critical at the time of programming with these tuners? It seems there is a fine window of not too low or not too high, why is this? I've also read that funny things can happen if it is not right. Is it a tuner thing or does it have something to do with the ECM? Just seems if there is enough juice to run the electronics and start the truck that that would be enough for the time it takes to load a program?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Battery Voltage?

@Double R Diesel would know. He runs into this.

🏁Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!🏁

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

My understanding that the way these tuners flash the ecm, if voltage was below a threshold then certain things would skipped over and not programmed in. It does take a certain voltage to allow the ecm write and basically if the system senses voltage is running low it skips over the fine details and merely loads enough to prevent bricking the ecm...which leads to a funky operating truck if this happens.

However too much voltage during a flash can fry the ecm too.

The safest bet is too have good batteries in your truck and run it to operating temperature before you program your truck. No battery chargers or jumper cables or such if you are unsure of what you're doing. Maybe just unhook the cables off your batteries to where you can check the voltage independently of each battery. If both hold a good 12 volts, then you will be fine. If one shows 12 volts and the other 11 volts, then I would be careful because one bad battery can ruin the mix.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

5. Thanks ChasManDo, IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for you replies, knowledge is a good thing!

7. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    My understanding that the way these tuners flash the ecm, if voltage was below a threshold then certain things would skipped over and not programmed in. It does take a certain voltage to allow the ecm write and basically if the system senses voltage is running low it skips over the fine details and merely loads enough to prevent bricking the ecm...which leads to a funky operating truck if this happens.

The safest bet is too have good batteries in your truck and run it to operating temperature before you program your truck. No battery chargers or jumper cables or such if you are unsure of what you're doing. Maybe just unhook the cables off your batteries to where you can check the voltage independently of each battery. If both hold a good 12 volts, then you will be fine. If one shows 12 volts and the other 11 volts, then I would be careful because one bad battery can ruin the mix.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    Once again Ray is the answer man awesome input from Ray

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

9. Likes Pimpw3ld3r25_8 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Once again Ray is the answer man awesome input from Ray
    Agreed!

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Low voltage to the ECM can scramble the logic.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    Learned something new today Thanks Ray

Life is a one time offer, make the most of it

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChasManDo View Post
    Can someone explain why the battery voltage is so critical at the time of programming with these tuners? It seems there is a fine window of not too low or not too high, why is this? I've also read that funny things can happen if it is not right. Is it a tuner thing or does it have something to do with the ECM? Just seems if there is enough juice to run the electronics and start the truck that that would be enough for the time it takes to load a program?
    Your inbox is full. Can't send a message until it's emptied!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins20126.7 View Post
    Your inbox is full. Can't send a message until it's emptied!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go for it now...Sorry