Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Injector Bore Damage...

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Injector Bore Damage...

I am finally rebuilding this engine that I got for a package deal with a 77 F-250. I have it cleaned and ready to paint. Anyways, I have searched and can't find this answer anywhere.

When I took the injectors out of the head, it looks like one of the previous owners rotated the two of the injectors in their bores and ruined the indent area. It is still sorta there, but it is pretty messed up. My question, it says in the book that this damage is severe. Can this head still be used? I know that this is not the sealing surface, just an alignment area.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Injector Bore Damage...

Quote Originally Posted by michael.kitko View Post
    I am finally rebuilding this engine that I got for a package deal with a 77 F-250. I have it cleaned and ready to paint. Anyways, I have searched and can't find this answer anywhere.

When I took the injectors out of the head, it looks like one of the previous owners rotated the two of the injectors in their bores and ruined the indent area. It is still sorta there, but it is pretty messed up. My question, it says in the book that this damage is severe. Can this head still be used? I know that this is not the sealing surface, just an alignment area.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
    You need to speak to our resident Ghru and injector vendor @AccurateDiesel

Post a couple of pics

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, michael.kitko liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Pictures as requested. These are the two bores I was talking about. The first is for #4 cylinder and the second is #5 cylinder.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Hi!

Sorry I did not get to this earlier - busy Monday! The important factor here is, of course, alignment of the injector. Since the injector enters the combustion chamber from the side at an angle, the injector nozzle does not spray symmetrically and it is very critical that it be indexed correctly. Looking at the top picture, I do not see any damage that concerns me. The bottom picture is not quite as clear, but I still really do not see anything that jumps out at me as being a problem. If you can drop the injector into the bore without the nut and then try to rotate the injector back and forth to check the fit that should tell you. Try comparing the amount you can rotate the injector when installed into a "good" cylinder with how much it will rotate in a cylinder that is in question. If they are essentially the same, you are fine. Let me know if we can be of assistance.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco thanked for this post