Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Tranny Trouble?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tranny Trouble?

I have a 14 6.7L.

It was brought to my attention by the dealer that I should change my automatic tranny fluid so I did change it a little over 100k mls.

All oem gaskets, filters, and recommended oil.

Now the truck will not go in drive when it’s cold has to warm up for about 5 minutes to pick up fluid?

Like it’s not picking up fluid immediately. I thought maybe I didn’t get the filter sealed correctly so I drained the fluid pulled the pan and put a new seal and filter back in .. same problem.

When the tranny warms up it works perfect, I tow a fifth wheel camper and a goose neck .. no issues just Whalen it’s cold.

Didn’t do this until I changed the fluid.

Any one having any issues like this?

2. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tranny Trouble?

Are you sure you have sufficient fluid in the transmission?

I believe proper way to check level is with engine running and transmission in neutral.

Is the spin on filter tight but - not so tight that the plastic threads cracked?

Just trying to help you troubleshoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If there is a crack in the plastic spin on threaded piece that the filter spins on it wont allow sufficient pressure to get to the torque converter might check that. I had this happen to me and had to pull pan and replace with steel one from geno's.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Do you know which auto trans you have? If you have a 3500 there are two options.

You don't specify but I would assume you most likely have the more popular 68RFE and @Timshooter40 has the issue nailed down. But if its an Aisin without scheduled fluid changes at 100k miles it's probably a much worse issue. Please let us know what you find so we can pay it forward someday

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

8. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post