Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Engine clacking and lag

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Engine clacking and lag

So I noticed, what seemed to be, a loud clacking/top end rattling noice when rolling into the throttle. I was in 5th gear around 60mph and I rolled into the throttle to get around a car, I didn’t roll into it hard enough or fast enough to get a down shift. The engine lagged a little and I noticed a loud rattling that sounded like it comes from the head, yes it sounds like that typical Diesel engine clacking. Once the engine builds boost and the power comes on the rattle completely goes away. I’m not sure if it’s always been there and I’m just noticing it but now I notice it all the time. I’m fully deleted with drd tunes and 90k miles. Am I hearing something that’s normal? Any of you guys experience this? @DRD

2018 2500, 6.7 Cummins, black, stock drive train, Carli 2.5 leveling kit, 18x9 Method Nv wheels, Cooper AT3 XLT, 68RFE, DRD delete tuning

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Engine clacking and lag

Quote Originally Posted by niteghost View Post
    So I noticed, what seemed to be, a loud clacking/top end rattling noice when rolling into the throttle. I was in 5th gear around 60mph and I rolled into the throttle to get around a car, I didn’t roll into it hard enough or fast enough to get a down shift. The engine lagged a little and I noticed a loud rattling that sounded like it comes from the head, yes it sounds like that typical Diesel engine clacking. Once the engine builds boost and the power comes on the rattle completely goes away. I’m not sure if it’s always been there and I’m just noticing it but now I notice it all the time. I’m fully deleted with drd tunes and 90k miles. Am I hearing something that’s normal? Any of you guys experience this? @DRD
    What hp setting do you have you tuner on? Are you running a 12Valve sound tune?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Very likely just a little timing rattle.

5. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    What hp setting do you have you tuner on? Are you running a 12Valve sound tune?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    i run the 90hp tune always in normal, no sound tune.

2018 2500, 6.7 Cummins, black, stock drive train, Carli 2.5 leveling kit, 18x9 Method Nv wheels, Cooper AT3 XLT, 68RFE, DRD delete tuning

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by niteghost View Post
    i run the 90hp tune always in normal, no sound tune.
    That’s about what I run and mine makes similar noise when I get on it a little. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

9. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I run the 90HP around town and hear the rattle occasionally. I believe it’s normal.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I run the 90HP around town and hear the rattle occasionally. I believe it’s normal.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah I believe so to.

Was just strange how I noticed it one day out of the blue and hadn't noticed it before.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post