Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very new to this. I NEED HELP!!

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Very new to this. I NEED HELP!!

I bought my first cummins. (First diesel period) Had a little blow by. It finally gave out. Threw a rod out the side. Now I am looking for a new engine. I have an 06 5.9l 24v cummins. I need to know exactly what engine I'm looking for. I'm looking for a bolt up and go engine. It's my daily driver so I need to get the ball rolling asap. Anything will help. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation Dale's Super Store's Avatar

User Info Menu

Any junk yards around you?

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, suzuki_21_zap liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yeah a few.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

You need to be careful. Any Cummins engine will bolt up, but there are some differences in the pistons and injectors. Just be sure the injectors are matched to the engine. It's best if you find an 06 engine.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, suzuki_21_zap thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, suzuki_21_zap liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki_21_zap View Post
    I bought my first cummins. (First diesel period) Had a little blow by. It finally gave out. Threw a rod out the side. Now I am looking for a new engine. I have an 06 5.9l 24v cummins. I need to know exactly what engine I'm looking for. I'm looking for a bolt up and go engine. It's my daily driver so I need to get the ball rolling asap. Anything will help. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You need to be careful. Any Cummins engine will bolt up, but there are some differences in the pistons and injectors. Just be sure the injectors are matched to the engine. It's best if you find an 06 engine.
    Welcome, sorry to hear of your misfortune as Polaraco stated its best to stick with another 06 engine. good luck

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

10. Thanks suzuki_21_zap thanked for this post
    Likes suzuki_21_zap liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

2004.5 to 2007 I believe is the same, 2004 has an old style and new style, I forget the date cut off, Same with the late 2007's they have a 6.7L

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

12. Thanks suzuki_21_zap thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    2004.5 to 2007 I believe is the same, 2004 has an old style and new style, I forget the date cut off, Same with the late 2007's they have a 6.7L
    I'm not sure, but I thought they had another piston/injector change in 05

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Thanks suzuki_21_zap thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I'm not sure, but I thought they had another piston/injector change in 05
    Now this is coming from the town dummy so correct me if I'm wrong. Something is different cause no EFI live until '06. Is that injector/piston related or the brains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'06 3500 SRW LWB
    G56 Valair DD
    90HP Dynomite Injs.
    Cat. Removed
    Wallet Empty
    AutoMeter Pyro.

16. Thanks suzuki_21_zap thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fourteen View Post
    Now this is coming from the town dummy so correct me if I'm wrong. Something is different cause no EFI live until '06. Is that injector/piston related or the brains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Technically, an 06 will run in an 03 and an 03 in an 06. The ECM doesn't really matter, but the can bus allows for more options. 03 and early 04 had different domes than 04.5 on up to I think 05 were different again. I may be wrong on that. Either way, the injectors have to match the pistons or the injectors will drill holes into the pistons

18. Thanks fourteen, suzuki_21_zap thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yeah I finally found one out of an 06. Got lucky and found a shop the rebuild them. I'll have to take my turbo and injectors etc. And put them on the new one. But for $3000.00 I was not about to complain. 3 yr. Unlimited mileage warranty and an awesome customer service rating. The only thing that sucks is they would have gave me $2000.00 core but mine of course had a rod sticking out the side so I'm only getting $900.00 out of it. I appreciate all of you guys helping out as much as possible

20. Thanks Dale's Super Store thanked for this post
    Likes Dale's Super Store, fourteen liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast