Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad mpg

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Bad mpg

Hey guys . Usually I tow very heavy so mpg isn't much of a concern. It sorta is what it is. But I just made a 380 mile trip towing an empty 14' cargo trailer, . I avg a little less than 9mpg avg speed of 67.5 mph.... What gives? I was expecting at least 13 mpg running this light

2. Likes Jaxonsram, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Bad mpg

What kind of terrains were you driving, flat land, hills ect .. ?
    Head winds and how hard ?
    Tire pressures of the truck or trailer ?
    Servicing of the engine ?
    Anything change in the trucks design that can affect resistance ?
    Design of the trailer that can cause drag ?
    Any computer add-ons that might be off which could effect the performance ?
    Is this the only time you noticed this change ?

There are so many variables to consider.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Drive was from northeast ga to Panama City Beach Florida. Gentle rolling to mild. Trailer has a vnose design. Pressures were at the max cold psi for truck and trailer. Engine has 10k miles on it. Will do oil change at 15k like the service manual suggests. No remarkable winds, tail or head no design changes I do have a ranch hand bumper and an in bed fuel tank.

6. Likes david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Well at 10k, its not even broken in yet. Doesn't sounds like enough wind resistance from the trailer. Those ranch hand bumpers do add a lot of weight. I have an in bed tank that holds 120 gallons and that adds about 936 pounds of fuel when full and only effects the mpg by a slight amount.

One quick question .. are you getting the 9 mpg by the trucks mpg meter or hand calculation ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Capt543 View Post
    Drive was from northeast ga to Panama City Beach Florida. Gentle rolling to mild. Trailer has a vnose design. Pressures were at the max cold psi for truck and trailer. Engine has 10k miles on it. Will do oil change at 15k like the service manual suggests. No remarkable winds, tail or head no design changes I do have a ranch hand bumper and an in bed fuel tank.
    Add ons make a little difference anytime more weight is added you’ll notice
    how big are your tires ?
    lifted ?
    how big aftermarket tank you have ?
    gear ratio ?
    how much does trailer weigh ?
    As you see this list goes on and on !
    We need all the info you can provide about your truck bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Likes david3gen liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Like previous replies, need more info, but this past weekend I was pulling my 9000 lb travel trailer from San Antonio to Fort Worth. About 1/2 way there I had a tire blowout on the camper. Forced to use the spare and complete the rest of my trip at 55 mph, my mpg actually rose to 13.1

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

12. Likes david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Hand calculate. By how much fuel I had when I left vs how much I have now. There is some left in the bottom of the gravity fed 90 gal tank .maybe 10 gal or so but I guess it needs more pressure to get it out . My other tucks with ranch hands get 18+

14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Truck is a 17 3500 with 3.73 and a G56. Crew cab. Stock height and tires. 90% empty weather gaurd tool box and a Titan 90 gal in bed tank set to a gravity feed. Trucks tank was full and the aux tank had 30 gal in it when I left I arrived with half a tank. Left in the factory tank . Hard to be exact on how much residual is left in the Titan but it won't come out. I guess it needs more fuel to work properly I was expecting to easily get down to FL and halfway back on 61 ish gal of fuel. So I was surprised to see the gauge moving when we got to the FL line

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I returned last week from a camping trip, roughly 330 miles away. I averaged 11.8 mpg (hand calculated) at 65mph pulling my 38’ bumper pull travel trailer weighing around 10k lbs. and that also includes quite a bit of stop and go through Austin, Texas. I have a Warp Tuned 2012, 68RFE, 5” lift, 35s and 3.73 gears.

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

16. Likes 4kids2dogs&RV, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    Like previous replies, need more info, but this past weekend I was pulling my 9000 lb travel trailer from San Antonio to Fort Worth. About 1/2 way there I had a tire blowout on the camper. Forced to use the spare and complete the rest of my trip at 55 mph, my mpg actually rose to 13.1

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Hope you didn’t tear up your trailer with the blowout. We had a flat on our trailer on our recent trip and only had to limp home the last 80 miles of our trip. I knew the expiration was close on my trailer tires but I thought I could make it. I learned my lesson!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

18. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast