Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  47
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intermittent humming noise while coasting

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Intermittent humming noise while coasting

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsaCummins4ya View Post
    Hey guys, I’ve been experienced a humming noise while coasting. I notice it’s the loudest at about 30mph but can still hear it when I let off the throttle coasting at higher speeds, I can feel I fine in vibration in the gas pedal during the humming which also comes and goes with the noise.

There’s also a high pitched more consistent noise when cruising in 4th gear. Almost like the sound of big knobby tires on the highway, but I have m/t tires.

What could it be? Wheel hub? Driveline? Transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rearend.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Rearend.
    How can you be so sure?

2012 Ram 3500. Full delete. H&S mini maxx. NextGen valvebody. Fuel Maverick wheels, Toyo MT tires. 35/12.5/20. Amp power steps.

4. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

How can you be so sure?

I'm not sure, just something to check. My 2018 Tacoma along with thousands upon thousands of other Tacoma owners had a howl/hum in the rearend. You would let off the throttle and slowly apply throttle and you could just about find the spot to make it constantly howl/hum. Toyota acknowledged the problem but never would do anything about it up until the time I traded it. Also, a friend/co-worker of mine had a 2012 Dodge dually that had a rearend howl/hum. Dodge brought in their master chief executive whatever you want to call him to evaluate the problem. He approved 6 new Michelin tires and sent him on his way AFTER replacing the rearend. Truck still done it up until one day he was pulling his cattle trailer running 70mph and just decided to floor it hoping something would break. He didn't break anything but something in the rearend popped violently and he never had anymore noise or trouble out of it. Take all this with a grain of salt as your problem could be totally unrelated but if I were you that's where I'd start, after that I'd look at wheel bearings. Good luck!

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I do have balancing beads as well, do those cause any noise?

I have ran beads before. When coasting to a stop you could here them. You could also hear them as soon as you stopped still rolling around.

For bearings just jack up the front end and spin the wheels. If there is noise and slight resistance could be bearing or slight brake dragging.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I’ve been experienced a humming noise while coasting. I notice it’s the loudest at about 30mph but can still hear it when I let off the throttle coasting at higher speeds, I can feel I fine in vibration in the gas pedal during the humming which also comes and goes with the noise.

There’s also a high pitched more consistent noise when cruising in 4th gear. Almost like the sound of big knobby tires on the highway, but I have m/t tires.

What could it be? Wheel hub? Driveline? Transmission?

What trans do you have? Miles?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    What trans do you have? Miles?
    68RFE, 135k, I’ll also have H&S trans tuning.

2012 Ram 3500. Full delete. H&S mini maxx. NextGen valvebody. Fuel Maverick wheels, Toyo MT tires. 35/12.5/20. Amp power steps.

11. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

68RFE, 135k, I’ll also have H&S trans tuning.

Check the U Joints. See if there is a lot of play in the tail shaft on the trans. Check the oil in the rear.

Have you ever serviced the trans? It would be a good idea to drop the pan and see if there is any metal in the pan

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Check the U Joints. See if there is a lot of play in the tail shaft on the trans. Check the oil in the rear.

Have you ever serviced the trans? It would be a good idea to drop the pan and see if there is any metal in the pan
    Yeah it was changed at 130k by a shop but going to be changed again when I install the upgraded valvebody I got and new deep pan. So I’ll check again for myself.

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I recently had a similar noise when off the throttle (cruising).

Turned out to be the carrier bearing (center driveshaft support).

I had noticeable slop in my driveshaft when I crawled under and checked.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CCLB, Tuned by DRD, 4 inch FloPro, Bilstein 5160's

17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Yeah it was changed at 130k by a shop but going to be changed again when I install the upgraded valvebody I got and new deep pan. So I’ll check again for myself.

I have had a trans noise since my truck was brand new, it happens around 30 in 4th gear under very light throttle.

Almost sounds like marbles rolling around. I now have over 75k, noise hasn't changed at all, didn't get louder or go away.

I'm pretty sure it's normal.

Is that the same noise you have?

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12