Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abnormal Oil Consumption

1. Top Of Page | #1

Abnormal Oil Consumption

So I’ve got a 2016 2500. Truck is deleted and driven daily on Ray’s 120 horse tune. No other performance mods beyond full delete. Never tows heavy. Performed an oil change back in May at 29k miles with Valvoline Prem Blue. Just changed it again today at 37k miles.

Now, i know for a fact that i put in 3 gallons of oil after the drain in May. However, today’s drain amounted to just about 2.5 gallons. Oil was around 120* when i pulled the plug from the pan. Truck parked on flat surface. I let it drain for a good 20-30 minutes before reinstalling the plug. So that’s 2 quarts of consumption in about 8-9k miles. Sound normal?

Haven’t checked for blowby in a while, will probably do that tomorrow.

What y’all think?

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB
    2016 Ram 2500 CCSB *SOLD*

2. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Abnormal Oil Consumption

Seems like to much to me. My '06 doesn't loose that.
    No leaks ?
    Tail pipe oily residue ?
    Do you use additives ? If so which ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Seems like to much to me. My '06 doesn't loose that.
    No leaks ?
    Tail pipe oily residue ?
    Do you use additives ? If so which ?
    Driveway is clean - no leaks. No wet spots underneath. No residue in tailpipe. No additives in oil. I’m stumped

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

You don’t have any oil in your antifreeze do ya?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

8. Top Of Page | #5

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    You don’t have any oil in your antifreeze do ya?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    Haven't checked but no other reason to believe I would.

Update: none observed in the reservoir.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Had a car once that slowly leaked out .. found it leaked when at proper temp, oil traveled down frame and dripped off while traveling. My drive and garage floor was clean. Found when crawling under car one day and happened to look at the frame.

Also .. hows the exhaust look ? Could it be burning very slowly and not enough to lay in the pipe ? Not that many miles to be oil rings.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ViperCummins View Post
    So I’ve got a 2016 2500. Truck is deleted and driven daily on Ray’s 120 horse tune. No other performance mods beyond full delete. Never tows heavy. Performed an oil change back in May at 29k miles with Valvoline Prem Blue. Just changed it again today at 37k miles.

Now, i know for a fact that i put in 3 gallons of oil after the drain in May. However, today’s drain amounted to just about 2.5 gallons. Oil was around 120* when i pulled the plug from the pan. Truck parked on flat surface. I let it drain for a good 20-30 minutes before reinstalling the plug. So that’s 2 quarts of consumption in about 8-9k miles. Sound normal?

Haven’t checked for blowby in a while, will probably do that tomorrow.

What y’all think?
    Did you account for the qt that is usually left in the oil filter and close to a qt that is usually left in the drain pan that takes forever to get out?

When I do my changes it is usually still dripping after an hour or two.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

13. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    Did you account for the qt that is usually left in the oil filter and close to a qt that is usually left in the drain pan that takes forever to get out?

When I do my changes it is usually still dripping after an hour or two.
    accounted for the QT in the oil filter, dumped that into the bucket before transferring to bottles. Only let it drain for 30ish minutes though so may have left some in the pan

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ViperCummins View Post
    accounted for the QT in the oil filter, dumped that into the bucket before transferring to bottles. Only let it drain for 30ish minutes though so may have left some in the pan
    How's the level looking after you put new in? I just remembered my buddy with a 2013 just changed his and after he said he was about a qt too full. Figured some was held up and didn't totally drain.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Maybe try checking it on the dipstick every now and then? Should be able to see if oil level is in fact falling on the dipstick. 5 minutes a week could save a $10,000 engine.

19. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast