Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  30

Thread: Recalls on a tuned truck

1. Top Of Page | #1
    2014 RAM 2500 Limited Greenhandlelife's Avatar

User Info Menu

Recalls on a tuned truck

I got a couple recalls I need to go and get done! My truck is fully deleted and is tuned by DRD! One of the recalls is programming and I’m also getting a new key fob program! Can I just tune back over what the dealer programs? Should I return the truck to stock tune before they program the ecu with what ever the recalls for?

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Recalls on a tuned truck

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhandlelife View Post
    I got a couple recalls I need to go and get done! My truck is fully deleted and is tuned by DRD! One of the recalls is programming and I’m also getting a new key fob program! Can I just tune back over what the dealer programs? Should I return the truck to stock tune before they program the ecu with what ever the recalls for?
    @DRD

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I wanna add a question to this.

With everything unplugged, and removed, how does the truck react when returned to stock tune?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deo Vindice

6. Thanks watersupply189, Houairman thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The best thing to do in a situation like this is to approach the dealer and tell them up front your truck is tuned and deleted. Then see if they can skip programming your ecm and just program the new key fob to your truck. They may work with you. Then again they may say they have to program in the recall before doing anything else.

If the dealer happens to program the ecm for any reason, they will have put a stock factory tune in place. The truck would then have a CEL on for missing emissions parts. The truck would run, but the truck would quickly go into limp mode limiting your speed to a crawl. The good news is you can simply program your truck again with your tuner after the dealer has done this and the truck is happy again.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I had a recall on my truck and I asked that if they did unplug my tuner to program my new key to not mess with the tuner and I had no problem at all

9. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I'll 2nd what @DRD said. Best thing to do is just be straight forward about it. But, if it's not a critically necessary program, I would avoid it entirely. I was lucky to have a cool dealership/service writer here in AZ that would write "No Flashes" down the side of my windshield every time my truck went in and never had an issue.

If you must flash, then I'd suggest unplugging your Ultra/MM3 from the truck and hanging onto it while the dealer does their thing, and then once it's done reflash before you drive off. (Unplugging the tuner isn't a requirement, but since the tuner utilizes 2-way communication, better to avoid anything potentially getting back and corrupting your tune files)

11. Thanks DRD, cumminsbadgirl, BlackBart thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Whats a new key fob program?

13. Likes watersupply189, Lunnzz17 liked this post