Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for more HP

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Preparing for more HP

I'm at 10,000 miles should I go ahead and change head bolts as well as transmission work now? Plus I would like recommendations on each please thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Likes Western, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Preparing for more HP

Quote Originally Posted by Redd View Post
    I'm at 10,000 miles should I go ahead and change head bolts as well as transmission work now? Plus I would like recommendations on each please thanks in advance.

Hey Redd,

What year is your truck? Also what is your horsepower goal? That way we can assist you with what you need and dont "need" but want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Redd thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Hey Redd,

What year is your truck? Also what is your horsepower goal? That way we can assist you with what you need and dont "need" but want.

Sorry it's a 2018. Looking at 600 to 650 rwh.

6. Likes Western, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sorry it's a 2018. Looking at 600 to 650 rwh.

Hey its all good dont worry about it. I am assuming you have a 68RFE trans correct?

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yes

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Alright sorry I just got home.

Lets start with the transmission; for a 68RFE from an all around reliability and performance stand point I would recommend Randy's Transmission stage 2 with a billet flexplate.

Now for turbo chargers there are a couple things I need to know; what do you use your truck for and do you tow with it, if you do tow with it let me know an estimated weight.

Couple things to keep in mind for turbo chargers.

VGT'S - Now a VGT turbo is a stock like setup which will retain your factory exhaust break

2nd Gen Swap - now this is a very common swap which removes the factory exhaust manifold (egr must be removed) and puts in a 2nd gen manifold. The reason people go to the 2nd gen swap is for flow as it exits at the center at the manifold vs towards the rear.

Compound Turbos - Now a compound turbo setup has a smaller turbo feed a larger turbo to eliminate turbo lag and give more power throughout the powerband.
    Industrial Injection makes great kits for these setups

3rd Gen style setups - This is a setup I have on my truck. Despite common belief most aftermarket exhaust manifolds flow just as much as a second gen manifold while retaining the turbocharger mounted lower similar to factory. Certain setups will allow you to add another turbo and make a compound setup from this. Industrial injection makes these kits as well.

Now lets talk fueling
    So for fueling you will need a aftermarket lift pump, larger % injection pump, and larger % injectors.

For the lift pump I suggest FASS they have the quietest, most accurate gph, and best overall flowrate. For injection pumps I suggest Industrial Injection. And for your Injectors I would suggest BBI injectors.

Now there are alot of miscellaneous parts you will need to reach that hp goal; most will depend on what turbocharger kit you go with. You will need Arp Head studs and a high flowing intake horn.

For tuning I would suggest an MM3 tuner from Double R Diesel.

Now Clayton over @Dude'sDieselPerformance can get you hooked up with everything you will need for your truck and goal. He is great to work with and has some of the best customer service

12. Thanks watersupply189, Yamahamod thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

If you have any more questions feel free to message more or post here again.

14. Thanks Redd thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Holy crap man thank you very much for knowledge and advice. Much appreciated!

16. Likes Western, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Alright sorry I just got home.

Lets start with the transmission; for a 68RFE from an all around reliability and performance stand point I would recommend Randy's Transmission stage 2 with a billet flexplate.

Now for turbo chargers there are a couple things I need to know; what do you use your truck for and do you tow with it, if you do tow with it let me know an estimated weight.

Couple things to keep in mind for turbo chargers.

VGT'S - Now a VGT turbo is a stock like setup which will retain your factory exhaust break

2nd Gen Swap - now this is a very common swap which removes the factory exhaust manifold (egr must be removed) and puts in a 2nd gen manifold. The reason people go to the 2nd gen swap is for flow as it exits at the center at the manifold vs towards the rear.

Compound Turbos - Now a compound turbo setup has a smaller turbo feed a larger turbo to eliminate turbo lag and give more power throughout the powerband.
    Industrial Injection makes great kits for these setups

3rd Gen style setups - This is a setup I have on my truck. Despite common belief most aftermarket exhaust manifolds flow just as much as a second gen manifold while retaining the turbocharger mounted lower similar to factory. Certain setups will allow you to add another turbo and make a compound setup from this. Industrial injection makes these kits as well.

Now lets talk fueling
    So for fueling you will need a aftermarket lift pump, larger % injection pump, and larger % injectors.

For the lift pump I suggest FASS they have the quietest, most accurate gph, and best overall flowrate. For injection pumps I suggest Industrial Injection. And for your Injectors I would suggest BBI injectors.

Now there are alot of miscellaneous parts you will need to reach that hp goal; most will depend on what turbocharger kit you go with. You will need Arp Head studs and a high flowing intake horn.

For tuning I would suggest an MM3 tuner from Double R Diesel.

Now Clayton over @Dude'sDieselPerformance can get you hooked up with everything you will need for your truck and goal. He is great to work with and has some of the best customer service

Great info here. I will say 2nd gen manifold is more efficient since the collection area is centered on the manifold. With that being said an aftermarket 3rd gen like he has will serve you well. The 6.7 will spin a 67mm charger well and get you to your power goal. Clayton is the guy for sure over at Dudes Diesel. Do it once and do it right!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Thanks Redd thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Redd, Yamahamod liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Holy crap man thank you very much for knowledge and advice. Much appreciated!

Of course bud that is what we as a community are here for. Im just glad I am able to share what I have learned with the community. Like I said if you have any questions about products, compatibility, or suggestions feel free to shoot me a message on the forum or post here.

I hope to see updates on your build bud and good luck!

20. Thanks Redd thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Redd, Yamahamod liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast