Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Brand?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Battery Brand?

Hey Gals and Guys, what brand batteries do you all recommend, or had the most success with for our trucks that are not daily driven. And should i always use battery tenders when not being driven for a couple weeks at a time? Current batteries are Interstate and am averaging 3 yrs without tenders installed.Not daily driven because i only work a couple miles from home and figured that would be hard on them as well.Also im in Ohio where the weather changes a lot.
    Thanks,

08 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins, HPP deletes, RaceMe Ultra, Flo-Pro 5" TBE, 68RFE Trans, 4.10 Gears,18x10 Moto Metal Chrome 285x65x18, Toyo A/T Open Country

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Battery Brand?

Great question!

(Subscribed)

*Ask about becoming a Lifetime Platinum Member Today*

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by king1 View Post
    Hey Gals and Guys, what brand batteries do you all recommend, or had the most success with for our trucks that are not daily driven. And should i always use battery tenders when not being driven for a couple weeks at a time? Current batteries are Interstate and am averaging 3 yrs without tenders installed.Not daily driven because i only work a couple miles from home and figured that would be hard on them as well.Also im in Ohio where the weather changes a lot.
    Thanks,
    As long as you use a high CCA rated battery from any of the parts places and you start and drive your truck around at least no more then every two weeks you should be fine weekly would be better especially if it’s getting colder if it’s really cold you might want to put a trickle charge on it once a week

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, david3gen liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

+1 on the CCA rating. Battery tenders are always a good idea. As for brands, look for ones with a good warranty. If you are running tons of heavy power drawing electrical accessories or in extremely austere environments then consider a gel battery like optima or odyssey. If you aren’t the significant cost increase is not proportional to the benefits gained by a gel type battery. They are awesome but hella expense when you can get same or better performance for much less in a standard battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Agreed with the above said.

I have not had these in one of my diesel trucks yet but i have had stupid good luck with the yellow top batteries on my other toys. Sometimes they go for months without getting started and they all still crank right up!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I agree with using a high CCA rated battery from any of the parts stores that you should be ok. I highly recommend before you install new batteries (and it should be both at the same time if you have to in the engine compartment) that you trickle charge the battery to full capacity, clean the post, battery tray, cable ends before installation .. then install.

If you are going to let the truck set for say two weeks or more .... ALWAYS keep something like a battery tender on it. Everytime you open the engine hood, look the connection over if they might need cleaning. I use that red spray on sealer .. some recommend vasoline. Either is better than nothing ... corrosion will start without.

I have done this practice since they first came out with trickle chargers ..... and on this truck .. my battery got 10 years before I had to change them.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I run a yellow top optima in my Supra and it has lasted for years with a battery tender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Likes walla2k5, AnOldBiker liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I use Interstate deep cycle in my camper and previous pickups. When it comes time for new batteries in my current pickup, I'll use Interstate again, I have a friend who is a dealer. Optima yellow top in my Jeep and a blue top in my blazer. Agreed with the battery tender as others have mentioned.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

15. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the great replies and info .i do have a couple of tenders just been a bit on the lazy side . Need to get my but in gear.

08 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins, HPP deletes, RaceMe Ultra, Flo-Pro 5" TBE, 68RFE Trans, 4.10 Gears,18x10 Moto Metal Chrome 285x65x18, Toyo A/T Open Country

17. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I have a battery maintainer mounted under the hood with the ac cord sticking through the grill. Easy plug in while it's sitting in the garage. Hoping to get more than 4 years on this set of batteries!

Sent from my Samsung S-8 using Tapatalk... DRD tuned 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB, Saddle Brown Pearl

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast