Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: 2014 trans question

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

2014 trans question

Since my truck was brand new, it has weighed around 11k lbs. I brought it home and swapped all my welding bed etc over. Since the truck weighs what it does, the torque convertor has always locked in the middle or toward the end of 3rd gear. Even when Jonathan from HPP tuned the truck, this has always been the case. Stock or tuned, the truck would lock the tc in 3rd, 4th etc. etc. At one point I had Jonathan completely take the 3rd lockup out and while it made the truck shift smoother, it just really revved high and kind of felt like a dead spot on power until it shifted to 4th and locked up the tc. Does anyone else experience their truck locking up in 3rd? I'm sure if my truck was just and empty dually most of the time, it wouldn't try and lockup in 3rd?? Jonathan said he hasn't experienced anyone with a 13+ that the convertor would lock in 3rd without being in tow/haul. My question........ Is it doing harm to tune out the 3rd lockup like it wants to in factory form?? Is it better to leave it locking up in 3rd?
    Thanks----

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

@Higher Power Performance any direction he should go?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Also, to mention. Taking the 3rd lockup out worked wonderful with my smaller tires. Now with the 35's it felt like a dead spot. Defiantly drives better with lockup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Talking to Jonathan now!! His customer service is awesome.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, oneshotkyle, DRD liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

All, fixed up!!! Since I'm running 35's and weigh 12k nearly, we locked the tc in 3rd and he raised the shift point from 3-4th about 7-1/2% and it made the truck drive so much better! Actually took away the sluggishness the 35's caused.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, DRD, RATLIN'HP liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thornton weldin View Post
    All, fixed up!!! Since I'm running 35's and weigh 12k nearly, we locked the tc in 3rd and he raised the shift point from 3-4th about 7-1/2% and it made the truck drive so much better! Actually took away the sluggishness the 35's caused.

That's awesome! Jonathan is "the man" with EFI Live. @Higher Power Performance

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7
    Glad we were able to get it resolved.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, DRD, oneshotkyle liked this post