Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Matte Headlight/Taillight Film

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Matte Headlight/Taillight Film

I've been looking into doing something with my lights and am leaning towards matte tinted film. Is the film very hard to apply and has anyone used the matte film? I can't seem to find aftermarket lights I like and dont want my factory ones standing out so much. Attachment 7749

2013 3500 SRW, Mm3, DRD Tunes, Kevlar Paint

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Matte Headlight/Taillight Film

Don't take this wrong, but what I hear is you cant afford anything better at this point. There are plenty of great options if you can afford them like blacked out interior with true HID conversion (what I did). This will cost your around 1100.00. To simply put a film over a crappy headlight to begin with only makes the light worse.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I'm more interested in a matte finish on the exterior than the color inside or hid/led lights.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

In that case you have made your decision. There's only one option for that and it will reduce light output further.

8. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I used the tint spray on my rear tailights and its not bad but like stated, the light output will suffer.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    I used the tint spray on my rear tailights and its not bad but like stated, the light output will suffer.
    Was the spray gloss or matte? The film seems easy to remove if I dont like it. I only put a few hundred miles a year on my truck so I'm not concerned with output so much.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GraveyBoat View Post
    Was the spray gloss or matte? The film seems easy to remove if I dont like it. I only put a few hundred miles a year on my truck so I'm not concerned with output so much.

It was the matt finish. As far as getting it off i have no idea as i just left it on there. It looked like it would be a pain to remove.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Thanks GraveyBoat thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I used the spray can from the autopart store "designed" for tinting on my 06. They looked matte if sprayed on in light coats. You have to hammer it to get a gloss look which is tough because it wants to run. I did no prime or sand at all.

Light output was pretty bad- I left my 3rd brake light stock for some added light and it wasn't too noticeable with headache rack anyway

Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Top Of Page | #9
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Another option would be to contact a MINI dealership and ask who they go to get film work done. They add clear to colored film on their cars a lot. If you don't like, warm it up with a blow dryer and pull off. Could be same as the spray color and could dim the light out put. LED's would help there.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

17. Thanks GraveyBoat thanked for this post