Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Flush, or filter change and top up? 68 RFE

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transmission Flush, or filter change and top up? 68 RFE

My truck is a 2012 with 46K miles. I was doing a steep grade a few days ago with stop and go traffic because of an accident. My trans temp got up to 231 F for about 10 min. until I got going at speed again and locked up the torque converter. The trans temp dropped immediately. I'm not sure how frequently the transmission fluid should be changed, and if it's a filter change and top up or a complete flush? What's the popular opinion? Did I cook the transmission fluid? What kind of coin am I looking at?

2. Likes watersupply189, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission Flush, or filter change and top up? 68 RFE

My advice is to order a drain plug and both Mopar filters from Geno’s. Pull the pan and install the plug onto the pan and change both filters. If you want to get as much fluid out as possible, you can break the return line fitting at the transmission. I would put the rear on jack stands and once the line is broken, start the truck and put it in neutral. You should start getting oil flowing from the return line and you can run it into a drain pan or a bucket. I would have an extra person either watching the flow or to turn the engine off when the flow slows down. I wouldn’t run it completely dry but stop when the flow slows down quite a bit. I think Geno’s actually has a step by step on how to do this on their site. I don’t think it’s wise to let someone pressure the fluid out.

I forgot how many quarts you’ll need to refill it but once you get about 8 quarts back in, set the E-brake, start the engine and put the truck in neutral and add a quart at a time until you reach your desired level. Only use Mopar filter! I learned my lesson going cheap! Just don’t do it! Also get some RTV or a new pan gasket. Good luck and keep us updated.

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

At only 46k Miles I wouldn't flush it. If you start now with a Pan drop and filters change, then do that every 30k or so, you'll never have to flush it. Or go through the trouble of trying to pump it out. As Bush says, use Mopar filters only. And good quality ATF+4. Do not use "multi-vehicle atf".

At 231 degree's you didn't hurt the trans. Especially since it came right down when you got moving.

Last edited by OverkillNeverFails; 07-10-2018 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add info
    I'm out. Switched back to gas!

5. Thanks watersupply189, theaaronbush thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I had mine done at about 60k. Had them change the filters and purge as @theaaronbush stated. Didn't really notice any difference shifting but it made me feel better getting it done.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Thanks theaaronbush, ywgbandit thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    My truck is a 2012 with 46K miles. I was doing a steep grade a few days ago with stop and go traffic because of an accident. My trans temp got up to 231 F for about 10 min. until I got going at speed again and locked up the torque converter. The trans temp dropped immediately. I'm not sure how frequently the transmission fluid should be changed, and if it's a filter change and top up or a complete flush? What's the popular opinion? Did I cook the transmission fluid? What kind of coin am I looking at?
    You should change fluid and filters roughly every 30,000 miles and only use ATF+4 trans fluid only and only use OEM or Mopar or Fleetguard Filters only you also may want to change your trans pan to a Mag Hytec Double Deep Pan if you do the trans will hold 12 qts of fluid

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

9. Thanks theaaronbush, ywgbandit thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yes!! ATF+4!!! How could I forget!? I also installed the Revmax threaded nipple for the screw-on filter.

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

11. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    Yes!! ATF+4!!! How could I forget!? I also installed the Revmax threaded nipple for the screw-on filter.

I did to install the RevMax threaded nipple on my filter

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

13. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, theaaronbush liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post

You wouldn't happen to know the part number of the Revmax threaded nipple and where you got it from would you?

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I'm out. Switched back to gas!

17. Thanks ywgbandit, theaaronbush thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, theaaronbush liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    You wouldn't happen to know the part number of the Revmax threaded nipple and where you got it from would you?
    Bought directly from RevMax

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast