Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cooling issues

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: cooling issues

Just curious .. how old is coolant ? Type coolant ? Last changed ? Ratio coolant vs. water ? Age of parts like hoses and such ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

2. Likes WyomingHunter liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Coolant is only a few days old since I changed it when I did then themorstat. I took it to a shop so they could plug in a scanner to test the clutch and temp sending unit. They said they’re leaning towards a fan clutch but I probably just got another airpocket in it which is the reason for overheating. Since I topped it off that last time I haven’t had any problems yet so might try burping it a little more and roll with it. Also I didn’t notice my radiator has some dirt in it so I blew it out with compressed air on the upper portion I could reach. The funny thing is I replaced that radiator about 2 years ago and I just dumped coolant in it and took off and didn’t have any problems with air pockets

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

So this weekend I had a trip about an hour away towing a bunch of four wheelers and something told me before I left I should top out off with water but I jus didn't and sure enough after about 20 min she ran hot. So let it cool down and put about a gallon of water in it and went on our way and didn't have any problems there or back. Then yesterday I had a heavy haul towing about 17,000lbs of hay and the truck did fine until I shut it off after about 30 min to eat lunch and then when I got back in it had spiked to around 200-210 and I didn't make it 200 yards down the road until it ran hot so I let it sit and added another gallon of water and by the time I got to where I was going 30 min later it lost some coolant and overheated again. Added more water before I left to make the 1 hour drive home with a 30' gooseneck trailer and by the time I got home it was running hot again and took about another gallon this morning. just that trip yesterday alone consumed about 3 gallons of water. Something going on causing me to boil off coolant causing it to overheat.

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    2011 ram 2500, 6.7 cummins, fully deleted, mild raceme jr. tune, Ok heres my problem: A while back my coolant temps went all the way to 245 and the temp light came on then after a second it went away. It didn't do it again for a while so I though nothing of it. Well it did it again a couple weeks later and not too long after that it did it and stayed around 220 or 230 for a good couple minutes until I guess the thermostat opened and it went down to like 190. Also I noticed when you turn the truck off you can hear the coolant bubbling into the overflow tank on the passenger side. Given these symptoms I decided to replace the thermostat and see what happens so I did that with a 180 thermostat and once I got the system burped it did great for a few days but could still hear the bubbling on the passenger side when you turn the truck off but the coolant was staying at 180 so I was happy. Well a couple days ago I was sitting in a parking lot with the truck idling for probably 10-15 minutes then shut it off. well when I went to leave a few hours later after about 15-20 minutes of driving down the interstate it overheated and was not cooling down so I parked it at the nearest gas station and came back for it a few hours later after it cooled and went to check the coolant level and I added almost a gallon of distilled water to it so it appears that when I was sitting in the parking lot it must have boiled off most of the coolant causing it to get hot. Some people are saying it might be a fan clutch causing it not to cool others suggested it might be the water pump not circulating the coolant enough. just looking for suggestions before I spend a bunch of money chasing this problem.
    SLOW DOWN HERE GUYS! SHEEESH

I have some questions. Since I'm not here much lately, I suggest you reply with quote.

Are you losing coolant?
    Is it running Hot when you are moving fast?
    How many miles on the truck?
    Is the coolant in the overflow tank a nice color?
    What are you doing when it seems to heat up?
    Are the cooling fins in the coils clean and clear?

I'm thinking cooling fan until I learn more

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

So this weekend I had a trip about an hour away towing a bunch of four wheelers and something told me before I left I should top out off with water but I jus didn't and sure enough after about 20 min she ran hot. So let it cool down and put about a gallon of water in it and went on our way and didn't have any problems there or back. Then yesterday I had a heavy haul towing about 17,000lbs of hay and the truck did fine until I shut it off after about 30 min to eat lunch and then when I got back in it had spiked to around 200-210 and I didn't make it 200 yards down the road until it ran hot so I let it sit and added another gallon of water and by the time I got to where I was going 30 min later it lost some coolant and overheated again. Added more water before I left to make the 1 hour drive home with a 30' gooseneck trailer and by the time I got home it was running hot again and took about another gallon this morning. just that trip yesterday alone consumed about 3 gallons of water. Something going on causing me to boil off coolant causing it to overheat.
    OK Shame on me. I missed this

What mods are on this truck?

when it's not too hot, open the rad cap while idling and watch for bubbles in the rad.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Does anyone happen to know if the Mopar water pump is a rebranded Cummins pump?

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

10. Top Of Page | #17
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Not sure of the water pump, but when I bought a thermostat from my local dealer, it was stocked under a Dodge number but the number stamped on the thermo was cummins with their cummins logo.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    OK Shame on me. I missed this

What mods are on this truck?

when it's not too hot, open the rad cap while idling and watch for bubbles in the rad.
    only mods are a 4" tbe, complete egr delete and raceme jr tuner set on 80 hp. whenever I open the cap and let the truck run as if I was burping it, it doesn't bubble it just pushed coolant out until the thermostat opens which I was told was normal.

12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CanDiesel View Post
    Does anyone happen to know if the Mopar water pump is a rebranded Cummins pump?

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
    Yes All the dealer engine related parts are renumbered Cummins. You can go to a Cummins dealer and pay half the dealer price, right out of the box

13. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

only mods are a 4" tbe, complete egr delete and raceme jr tuner set on 80 hp. whenever I open the cap and let the truck run as if I was burping it, it doesn't bubble it just pushed coolant out until the thermostat opens which I was told was normal.
    Check for codes. I'm leaning towards maybe a bad Rad Cap or the fan is malfunctioning.

The fan is controlled with one of the TPS sensors. There are 2. If one of the TPS sensors goes bad, the fan will malfunction. The fan has a computer activated clutch in it. That could be bad too. When the truck is that hot, you should be hearing the fan beating at the air. They get pretty loud. Since diesels run cooler than Gas, they take a while to heat up. However, travelling at low speeds for a while, and especially with a load, there isn't enough air travelling through the rad to offset the engine load. So if I described anything here that is or isn't happening, then start looking at the fan.

You may need a scanner to detect the secondary TPS malfunction or fan codes.

I've seen this several times before on this forum. It's hard to diagnose unless you know how the system works. I don't want you throwing a bunch of money needlessly at it either. However, Rad caps are inexpensive. @Geno's Garage

14. Likes WyomingHunter, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast