Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Fuel Economy on a 14

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fuel Economy on a 14

Ladies, gentlemen, and other low life's,

I've owned my 14 dually for about three maybe four weeks now and I'm fairly depressed with the mileage I'm seeing on the lie meter. The truck is bone stock as far as I know, and this thing is averaging about 14.6 on the lie meter in the cluster; coming from an 07 5.9 truck that on it's bad days was getting 16.5 on the lie meter I'm fairly depressed. The commute is the same exact commute I had in the 5.9 and both trucks have/had 3:73's. Is this common for these newer trucks to get such miserable mileage? I don't have a heavy foot, and I haven't altered my driving for the new truck. I naturally assumed with the newer engine, and an Aisin I could at least expect to get the same as what I was getting. That said, despite the lie meter in the cluster, I'm still getting about two weeks to a tank, which was about normal for my 07. Anywho, thanks for any advice or info you fine folks can provide me.

Whiz

2. Thanks Southerncomfort4x4 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel Economy on a 14

To start with you have 50 more Cubes. The emission controls are on there where the 07 didn't have them. I don't know if they have a Regen cycle or not. I had one on my 08, but stopped learning them by 10. I'm sure you can getter MPG. Is that highway? Or are you ding all local driving? @Whiz

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Normally its a mix of highway and driving around on a military installation (no more than 40 mph, but no much stop and go either). I have not one single traffic light between home and work, which is where it sees most of it's duty.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

That's part of it right there. The 6 speed may not be in as high a gear or equal ratios, as the old 48 RE 4 speed. So the revs are up and it's not as economical. Seems to me the 48 was in 4th at 40 and the lock up was 55

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

That's a very valid point, I suppose I hadn't factored that in. I was really hoping to wait out the 100K mark to do the deletes, but it looks like I may be doing them sooner in hopes of helping everything.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You can tune the truck without the deletes. You'll have the most expensive part of the deletes. @Double R Diesel

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

That's about on par with what I'm getting. I do notice a bit better if I lock out 6th gear and run about 1600 rpms. That seems to be the sweet spot with mine.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    That's about on par with what I'm getting. I do notice a bit better if I lock out 6th gear and run about 1600 rpms. That seems to be the sweet spot with mine.
    I'll have to give that a try.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post