Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: H&S vs EFI Live

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

H&S vs EFI Live

Pros and Cons on Both

I'm looking to Delete my 2012 3500 SRW. Looking for better Fuel Mileage mainly. I Tow a Enclosed Snowmobile Trailer in the BC Mountains. Daily Driver mostly Highway.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by summitbound View Post
    Pros and Cons on Both

I'm looking to Delete my 2012 3500 SRW. Looking for better Fuel Mileage mainly. I Tow a Enclosed Snowmobile Trailer in the BC Mountains. Daily Driver mostly Highway.
    Great thread topic!

This is one that is gonna change as time goes on. For this exact moment, H&S has the championship belt...but EFI probably may end up being the better value down the road.

H&S Pro's
    Box tuning with the delete option on race versions
    Automatic transmission tuning
    MCC custom tuning option
    Shift on the fly capacity (Mini Maxx Tuner)
    Tuner serves as a set of gauges (Mini Max)
    Speedometer correction capable
    TPMS disable capable
    Seat belt chime disable capable

H&S cons
    No longer in production and phone tech support is not available
    High cost

EFI Live 2010-up

Pro's
    Probably cheaper
    In production and supported
    EFI's ability to grow the platform
    Data logging capacity

Con's
    Hasn't been released publicly at this moment
    Doesn't have the parameters the H&S platform has...at least yet
    No sotf (shift on the fly) capacity yet
    No transmission tuning yet (from EFI)
    Tuner device doesn't offer gauges
    EFI will not offer delete base files publicly in the US...doesn't mean smart folks can't make a way.

These are my opinions along with some facts. I'm sure tides will change along the way.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Rockwerx liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

#H &S #EFiLive

Glad you bought this one up.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

6. Top Of Page | #4
    Permanent Vacation Diesel Dawgs Performance's Avatar

User Info Menu

H&S is more $$ but you can get transmission software and custom tunes.

EFI will be very limited upon release.

7. Likes IGOTACUMMINS, DRD liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thx for your Info guys

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I agree with Ray. H&S is king now. But with lack of future support, and EFI being a great platform anywhere its been used. My money is on EFI as far as custom tuning goes. Trans tuning isn't available yet with EFI hopefully it'll come. If not people will find a way to tune them.

As far as the other bells and whistles. I don't think EFI will ever mess with those. (I'll miss my fog lights w/brights)

2012 Lonestar Edition Mineral Gray 3500 DRW CrewCab 4x4 6.7/68RFE 3.73, 125,000 miles and climbing, Revmax Valvebody, AFE Bladerunner Intake horn, Michellin LTX AT2, CHR550 Lockpick, Mopar Kicker Speaker Upgrades, Mopar Kicker 10" Sub, Synergy Steering Box Brace, Edge CTS Insight

11. Likes DRD liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

and don't for get about Torque Tech
    and since your in canada we can help out

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

alot like H&S but got the support after and growing with out the big cost

14. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ya, I know Brian the Support Tech at Torque Technologies

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Update

Since I've been able to open of some base files with EFI'S pre release software, I thought I'd share a few things I've found...

This platform has great potential! However it can't do what MCC can do on a 10-12 truck YET. Now it already defines a few parameters that mcc doesn't, but EFI lacks a few things for me to even try it on my own 2012.
    Now I'm not complaining because EFI Live has already warned us of the short comings of the initial release. Also there are some very handy tuners out there (and I'm not in their league yet) that have already found a way to manufacture tune files with the added parameters that EFI hasn't defined yet...but those guys are not going give up those secrets publicly for profitability reasons. So here is here are the short comings with EFI for the average person who wants to try to tune their own rig...

No transmission tuning for the 68RFE yet.

Data logging features are very limited at this time.

No shift on the fly mapping yet.

No ability to cancel DTCs that you may would want the PCM to forget about.

No ability to delete emissions equipment with the public software package. Now for you guys that don't know, you can delete with using sims or resistors installed under the truck where certain sensors would have been, and use the public software to change most engine parameters. The catch here is you can't rid yourself of the EGR system this route. You can can disable it but not remove it. For me I'd rather have a base file tune that puts the truck on a diet with just a simple flash tune...and EFI live will offer that for international customers eventually.

These are just a few negatives and they will get taken care of in time I'm sure. There is plenty of good with the software as compared to MCC. I see post injection timing controls, access to more limiters, and EGR flow rate tables...just to name some.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 thanked for this post