Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  180
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cummins Def System Gone in 2020? - New Engine?

1. Top Of Page | #41

User Info Menu

Re: Cummins Def System Gone in 2020? - New Engine?

Being this press release is a year old, maybe they have come up with a better idea since then...

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Being this press release is a year old, maybe they have come up with a better idea since then...

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    I hope you are right! Unfortunately it looks like the industry is evolving away from the emission system as an add on that can be defeated and removed to one being totally integrated. Hope I am wrong on this.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I hope you are right! Unfortunately it looks like the industry is evolving away from the emission system as an add on that can be defeated and removed to one being totally integrated. Hope I am wrong on this.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Anything can be defeated with a plasma cutter.

6. Top Of Page | #44

User Info Menu

No.

The 2020's are the same as the 2019's. Little more of that "blackout" stuff offered and a larger fuel tank on the long bed 3500 with Asin.

That's it.

7. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #45

User Info Menu

From what I read, Cummins is leaning more toward Hydrogen fuel cells for the future, or a hybrid fuel cell / battery. They recently acquired a major player in the hydrogen fuel cell world.

Not sure how long that will take to get into mainstream, but because they can use natural gas as a fuel source, maybe it easier to be supported politically by big oil. There is already a lot of these vehicles in the commercial world.

2014 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 CCLB. 6.7l Cummins mated to an ATS diesel performance Stage 3 68RFE transmission, Raceme Ultra Tuner, Sinister Diesel EGR Delete, 4" exhaust, Mag-Hytec Rear Diff cover, Fox 2.0 IPF shocks, 110 gal aux fuel tank, Airlift 7500XL with on board auto compressor.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #46

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by McRod View Post
    From what I read, Cummins is leaning more toward Hydrogen fuel cells for the future, or a hybrid fuel cell / battery. They recently acquired a major player in the hydrogen fuel cell world.

Not sure how long that will take to get into mainstream, but because they can use natural gas as a fuel source, maybe it easier to be supported politically by big oil. There is already a lot of these vehicles in the commercial world.
    Maybe on the industrial side, I don't see hydrogen anything becoming prevalent in the auto industry...its exponentially more complicated and lacks the infrastructure more so than even electric cars.

However, Garrett just released some information about their upcoming e-Turbo. I'll link below...this I could actually see being a huge factor in the next gen Cummins & honestly, I would buy into it.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabue...ction-in-2021/

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Maybe on the industrial side, I don't see hydrogen anything becoming prevalent in the auto industry...its exponentially more complicated and lacks the infrastructure more so than even electric cars.

However, Garrett just released some information about their upcoming e-Turbo. I'll link below...this I could actually see being a huge factor in the next gen Cummins & honestly, I would buy into it.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabue...ction-in-2021/
    Possibly, but the infrastructure is already in place. They are gas stations. Its more of a matter of integration into that infrastructure.
    It's like adding a biodiesel pump or a ethanol pump, a DEF pump, or a propane station. It's still somewhat costly, but the DoE partnered with a private entity, H2USA, in 2017 to coordinate a national rollout plan for hydrogen stations.

Unlike electrical integration, which requires a completely autonomous connection point, and takes more time to fill than consumers are willing to spend (in time).

Hydrogen is the most abundant and easily obtainable element on the planet, whereas, lithium is already in short supply way before the technology has matured. I acknowledge there is more of a political push in many areas of the country for EVs, but personally (and I am not a rocket scientist), I think Hydrogen has way more advantages as a long term solution. Seeing companies like Cummins invest in Hydrogen technology is where I would hedge my bets.

When the automobile was invented it was hailed as the solution to pollution of the streets of America that were commonly filled with horse poop. It was quite a short-sighted statement. We are hearing the same banter now with EVs being the solution to pollution, without acknowledging the consequences of acquisition and long term disposition of lithium filled batteries or the use of coal powered electric plants used to onboard the technology. This is also short-sighted in my opinion.

But I am just a Joe, and will not really be around to care.

2014 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 CCLB. 6.7l Cummins mated to an ATS diesel performance Stage 3 68RFE transmission, Raceme Ultra Tuner, Sinister Diesel EGR Delete, 4" exhaust, Mag-Hytec Rear Diff cover, Fox 2.0 IPF shocks, 110 gal aux fuel tank, Airlift 7500XL with on board auto compressor.

13. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt, watersupply189, ChrisU liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #48

User Info Menu

Delete your truck, Never have issues with that crap again. Ive deleted every diesel iv owned and no issues..None.

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #49

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by McRod View Post
    Possibly, but the infrastructure is already in place. They are gas stations. Its more of a matter of integration into that infrastructure.
    It's like adding a biodiesel pump or a ethanol pump, a DEF pump, or a propane station. It's still somewhat costly, but the DoE partnered with a private entity, H2USA, in 2017 to coordinate a national rollout plan for hydrogen stations.

Unlike electrical integration, which requires a completely autonomous connection point, and takes more time to fill than consumers are willing to spend (in time).

Hydrogen is the most abundant and easily obtainable element on the planet, whereas, lithium is already in short supply way before the technology has matured. I acknowledge there is more of a political push in many areas of the country for EVs, but personally (and I am not a rocket scientist), I think Hydrogen has way more advantages as a long term solution. Seeing companies like Cummins invest in Hydrogen technology is where I would hedge my bets.

When the automobile was invented it was hailed as the solution to pollution of the streets of America that were commonly filled with horse poop. It was quite a short-sighted statement. We are hearing the same banter now with EVs being the solution to pollution, without acknowledging the consequences of acquisition and long term disposition of lithium filled batteries or the use of coal powered electric plants used to onboard the technology. This is also short-sighted in my opinion.

But I am just a Joe, and will not really be around to care.
    No I think you're outlook is right on the money. EVs aren't the solution to pollution when you consider the overall aspects of production & charging. People like to think that just because the car doesn't emit emissions, that emissions aren't emitted at all when that's not how it works.
    Hydrogen is a viable option, but it carries a ton of risks due to it's inherent volatility in gaseous form.

I think that CNG is an option that could work for a lot of people, hell all of the diesel city buses here run on CNG and there's even a whole bunch of people that have converted their personal vehicles to run on CNG...and we have gas lines all over the place.

I'm not a climate activist by any means, science has proven that global warming is a natural phenomenon, and I think too much of this nonsense gets blown out of proportion. This planet has been here for billions of years, and it's going to be here for billions more.

17. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, GreaseMonkeyMani liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #50

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    No I think you're outlook is right on the money. EVs aren't the solution to pollution when you consider the overall aspects of production & charging. People like to think that just because the car doesn't emit emissions, that emissions aren't emitted at all when that's not how it works.
    Hydrogen is a viable option, but it carries a ton of risks due to it's inherent volatility in gaseous form.

I think that CNG is an option that could work for a lot of people, hell all of the diesel city buses here run on CNG and there's even a whole bunch of people that have converted their personal vehicles to run on CNG...and we have gas lines all over the place.

I'm not a climate activist by any means, science has proven that global warming is a natural phenomenon, and I think too much of this nonsense gets blown out of proportion. This planet has been here for billions of years, and it's going to be here for billions more.
    Agreed.

Cummins also build CNG busses, so those may be theirs your seeing.

Hydrogen can be taken from CNG.

Also, hydrogen is less volatile than gas.

This is an older, 2015, article on Hydrogen by Edmunds.

Read the 3rd point about "Is Hydrogen Safe?"

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, RamIt, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast