Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's in my coolant?

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: What's in my coolant?

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Oh yeah BTW

The overflow hose's like to leak and not work properly. You can put a small wire tie around the tube at the cap to solve that prob. Make sure the hose is in good shape at the fitting first.

This is very true. Also check all hose fitting for proper tightness. When I bought my truck, the manufacture left one where the fitting was on, but not tight. It dripped over time and stopped when I found it. No wet spots on the garage floor, but when pressured up and on the road, had to be a constant drip towards the rear of the engine where I found a loose clamp.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

2. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Hey Coloradopest, similar prob on my 2010 3500 when i brought the truck from my brother in Wyoming, he gave me the heads up that occasionally he would smell coolant when stopped after he turned the engine off but couldn't find the leak anywhere. I scoured the truck myself and indeed, same occurance. Well fast forward as I just did my deletions and found the leak, a trickle coming from the engine feed line that fed the EGR, rt below the CCV outlet hose. I couldn't see it for the EGR crap. Feeble design IMO (of both the exit from engine to EGR as well as the re-merge to the hardened line as it leaves the EGR) at least on the 2010. The O ring under that (hose) line was very firm and it (the leak) looked like candle wax going up the the line and hose merge, it was seeping down along the edge of the engine and rollin to the aft end of the exhaust manifold! no drips to the ground, cooked (gelled) before it could hit the ground. I know, LOL, short story long, but if it helps others then bam, money saved. Good luck.

4. Thanks watersupply189, Power247 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

After some closer looks I think my water pump is going.

It appears that's where its leaking from.

6. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12