Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's in my coolant?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

What's in my coolant?

At 1st I thought maybe oil was getting into the coolant. But that would have more of a milky look. This looks more like applesauce. I also noticed a coolant leak. Haven't found where its coming from yet20191012_174113.jpg

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: What's in my coolant?

Is this truck new to you or have you had it a while?

2016 3500 Laramie Mega DRW Aisin 3.73

4. Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skywrench View Post
    Is this truck new to you or have you had it a while?

2016 3500 Laramie Mega DRW Aisin 3.73
    Bought it at the beginning of summer. Just started. Has 50k miles

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

A little history would be good. Last flush, type coolant, mileage on it, what has been done above stock ....

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    A little history would be good. Last flush, type coolant, mileage on it, what has been done above stock ....
    Unless dealer did 1 b4 buying it might not of had any flushes done. I bought it beginning of summer. It's a 2008 with only 50k miles. Everything under the hood is stock. It looked good tell now

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Does the coolant look like the pic? Or is it just residue around the opening ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Dodge 2500 6 inch suspension lift 4 inch body lift sitting on 41's DPF delete Straight pipe turbo back twin stacks road armour front and rear bumpers mini max tuner...tuned by DOUBLE R DIESEL

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I know jelling can occur if different types of coolant are mixed. I would recommend a good clean and flush of the coolant system, repair the leaks and fill with the recommended fluid.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MRMAYHEM View Post
    Does the coolant look like the pic? Or is it just residue around the opening ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's leaking out looks clean?

What's inside was to low to tell.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradopest View Post
    What's leaking out looks clean?

What's inside was to low to tell.
    As said, mixing coolants could cause that. The coolant starts to turn to formaldehyde after a long time. But I don't think 10 years is long enough for that. Maybe there was an additive thrown in the rad.

What does that goo feel like in your fingers? Oil? Smell?

Since you don't have a history. create one. I suggest you flush the system real good and refill it with fresh. As I recall, my 08 had the pink stuff in it. (That's what I told the guys at the parts house. "Gimme a gallon of the pink stuff" LOL) Follow suit but keep some extra to make up. BTW Fix that leak too

Then you can keep an eye on it and see if it happens again

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Oh yeah BTW

The overflow hose's like to leak and not work properly. You can put a small wire tie around the tube at the cap to solve that prob. Make sure the hose is in good shape at the fitting first.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast