Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel Weights

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Wheel Weights

I could be wrong, but these are similar to the beads you put into the tires. But these have the addition of fluid.
    As you drive, they spin and the weights 'suppose to get where they are needed'. Some say they work, some say not.

But from what I have read, they have to spin a minimum of a certain speed and then they get to balance. Your out of balance until they spin enough. So every stop or when you slow up enough and such, you get out of balance. If you do a lot of city stop and go, slow to turn corners, accelerate to get to speed ... your out of balance more then in balance.

If all this is true, are they worth it ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

2. Likes RamIt liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Your best bet would be to put them as close as possible but also out of the way of the caliper, I put mine either directly behind the spokes as close as possible, or right on the edge of the rear of the wheel! You *May* get a bit of vibration. But its going to clear and you won't have to worry so bad!

Make sure to like us on Facebook!
    Want a good daily dose of custom trucks? Check our Instagram!
    We sell wheels& tires, lift kits, custom lighting, grills, light bars and more! Right Here!

4. Thanks RamIt, AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt, AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CustomOffsets View Post
    Your best bet would be to put them as close as possible but also out of the way of the caliper, I put mine either directly behind the spokes as close as possible, or right on the edge of the rear of the wheel! You *May* get a bit of vibration. But its going to clear and you won't have to worry so bad!
    Thanks for that! I actually placed the strip where the 1oz weights were and just centered them across the same line and all is perfect. But man that clearance even with these is super tight!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

6. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I could be wrong, but these are similar to the beads you put into the tires. But these have the addition of fluid.
    As you drive, they spin and the weights 'suppose to get where they are needed'. Some say they work, some say not.

But from what I have read, they have to spin a minimum of a certain speed and then they get to balance. Your out of balance until they spin enough. So every stop or when you slow up enough and such, you get out of balance. If you do a lot of city stop and go, slow to turn corners, accelerate to get to speed ... your out of balance more then in balance.

If all this is true, are they worth it ?
    Same is true for balance beads, but realistically, highway speeds are the only place where balance is really needed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

@oneshotkyle runs 17s on his truck. Maybe he has some insight

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

17's are tight with wheel weights. LOL. Had mine balanced and backed out of les Schwab's they got tore off. Rebalance them in a different spot and they barely clear

from the dunes

2015 laramie 3500 CCLB G56 4x4/Thuren springs/trackbar/swaybar with King's on Walker's with 37 Toyo mt's. Raceme/Arp625's/BBI 1.5's/Stainless Diesel 467.7/Airdog 165 4g/Fleece 10mm CP3/GDP grid delete and S3/Hellman VC.....Warp by double r diesel

10. Likes RamIt liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oneshotkyle View Post
    17's are tight with wheel weights. LOL. Had mine balanced and backed out of les Schwab's they got tore off. Rebalance them in a different spot and they barely clear

from the dunes
    LOL that sounds about right. surprisingly, mine stayed on for almost 100 miles before i took them off and put the low profile ones on. but damn it's still tight. hence why im going to pursue balance beads in the near future. I need to get my old wheel/tire combo sold first though.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12