Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your exhaust opinions count

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

your exhaust opinions count

Here's my question. I am looking to update my exhaust(get rid of all that emissions crap) and would like your feedback. I'm sure this has been covered in other threads but a fresh thread might help others who have the same questions. And by all means add your own questions to the thread also.
    1. 4" or 5" with cost not being any part of the equation.
    2. Sound wise which size gives you what sound?
    3. Muffler or straight thru? Benefits vs drawbacks
    4. What do you have? Stacks or out the back? Single or dual?
    5. Videos would be awesome.

2016 Ram 2500 Laramie, Delmonico Red Pearl, 6.7 CUMMINS, 4X4, Auto, CC, SB, Fully Loaded, Firestone air bags, Matching Front Window Tint.
    Let The Mods Begin.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, TX NIGHT TRAIN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: your exhaust opinions count

I'd like to see where this thread goes..
    my personal opinion is 4" is plenty for any street truck. 5" will be a bit deeper/throatier from what I've read. Muffler will give it a bit of an airy sound but quieter and no drone. If you're going to do stacks I say single for srw and duals for drw. That's just me though. I'm stil stock and haven't made my mind up what to do when the time comes. I have a feeling I'm just going to leave the stock pipe in place with delete pipe just to not a big flax that things are missing.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I've personally run both a 4" straight pipe and a 5" with muffler on my truck. I'm far happier with the 5" with muffler setup without a doubt. It has a deeper, cleaner tone and cut down on cab noise/drone significantly. Overall it just sounds way better and isn't so ridiculously loud where it's rattling houses late at night.

I don't yet have a video put together of my 5" setup but I do have one of the 4" setup. It did still sound pretty good no doubt. Part of that has to do with the custom tuning I'm running from DoubleRDiesel.

I want to put one together with the 5" exhaust but at this point that isn't going to happen until the spring at the earliest unfortunately.

With my new exhaust I decided to go with an axle dump rather than out the back. With the overall look of my truck with the lift, stance, size of the pipe and tip it was the best looking option in my opinion. At the end of the day it all comes down to user preference though and what you like best.

6. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

1. I'd like to mention you should know your laws before you start. PA is very different then CA in laws.
    2. I read studies that the 4" can get you up to 750 HP, and then you need to get a 5" there after.
    3. Going back to #1, you might like the sound of straight pipes, but not knowing #1, you could be spending more with all the tickets received.
    4. Mufflers are easy on the sound, but can restrict flow. Many have frogotten resonators, they slightly softens the sound with less restriction of flow.

I have the 5" stainless with a resonator because I was able to get it installed for cost and a 6 pack. Or I might have been with my original 4" pipe and a resonator.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Great input guys keep it coming.
    @brandonjansen dang nice ride so jealous. The 4" does sound good and will be waiting to hear your 5" setup. The axle dump just looks so right on your truck with the lift and attention to detail under the truck. Definitely works. Thanks again for posting videos.
    @AnOldBiker You are right. I am very fortunate to live in an area that allows/ignores the loudness of a vehicle. As long as there is exhaust hooked up you are ok. There are some insanely loud cars and trucks here my muscle car included. I would like to know what an exhaust with a resonator would sound like. I pull a fifth wheel so stacks are out for me for now. I ran straight duals on my Peterbilt and it was loud. When I hit the jake it woke the dead. LOL I'm going off subject. Sorry. I know that a 4" means I can do a DP back, but a 5" would be TB. Does the 5" really have much better flow rate over a 4"? Do you have any sound clips of your exhaust?

2016 Ram 2500 Laramie, Delmonico Red Pearl, 6.7 CUMMINS, 4X4, Auto, CC, SB, Fully Loaded, Firestone air bags, Matching Front Window Tint.
    Let The Mods Begin.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, jf336 thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

1. I went with the stainless 5" aFe machforce xp exhaust...
    2. Not sure soundwise, but from all the clips that I have heard the 5" was throatier.
    3. I opted for the muffler because I'm not trying to scream "pull me over!" living in the hood... LOL. But honestly, I might look into a resonator in the future...
    4. I have a single exit out the back with a polished 6" tip. I think it looks mean on the DRW's...not to big...not too small...also looked into dual exit with 5" tips (IF I had went with 4")
    5. No video yet as I suck at taking them...haha but I'll try this weekend...

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

want to ask which is the preferred brand and source of a 4in exhaust?

2016 Tradesman 6.7 manual. Pile of parts waiting to be installed.

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    want to ask which is the preferred brand and source of a 4in exhaust?
    Flo pro.. I purchased a complete package from Ray complete with everything needed. Being a platinum member you also receive a nice discount from Ray as well.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, theaaronbush thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I have a hard time posting videos for some reason but if you want you can check out my IG @tx_night_train and I have a couple videos on there of just the delete pipe with no muffler. One lope idle and one normal idle.

17. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
    Likes Jolly, theaaronbush liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast