Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd gen swap or studs?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2nd gen swap or studs?

Ok guys I asked this question on another forum but wanted to see what yall thought. I really want to get a 2nd gen swap but do I really need studs? I'm aiming towards a s465 or s467 and I was told I would. I won't be aiming on anything higher than custom mcc street tune. Wouldn't getting rid of the stock turbo actually be a huge benefit to the motor and the stock head studs?

2. Thanks Hulk thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2nd gen swap or studs?

Quote Originally Posted by Cumminswelder View Post
    Ok guys I asked this question on another forum but wanted to see what yall thought. I really want to get a 2nd gen swap but do I really need studs? I'm aiming towards a s465 or s467 and I was told I would. I won't be aiming on anything higher than custom mcc street tune. Wouldn't getting rid of the stock turbo actually be a huge benefit to the motor and the stock head studs?
    As for the studs for me it's piece of mind, and everyone I talked to recommended it. If you're looking for a 467 give @oneshotkyle a look up, I know he was looking to sell his kit.

2014 Ram Laramie 3500 CCSB 6.7 Cummins. 3.42 gears. EGR Delete. Flo~Pro 5 inch TBE. ARP 625's. GDP grid delete and S2. 464 BMP Turbo on 2nd Gen Manifold. BD Exhaust Brake. Fass 150G Fuel System. BBI 1.5's. Exergy 10mm Stroker Pump. RevMax 68RFE 700 Series. Dual remote oil filters. Thuren coils. Carli progressive leafs with Thuren Kings 2.5. AMP Steps. Snow Performance Water/Meth Stage 2. BDS Recoil Traction Bars.
    Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35's on 20 x 10 Fuel Vapors.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Would I be good with stock studs?

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Bump............

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

There's no guarantee with or without studs. Studs are a cheap upgrade that anyone putting more fuel and aftermarket turbo should consider.

2015 laramie 3500 CCLB G56 4x4/Thuren springs/trackbar/swaybar with King's on Walker's with 37 Toyo mt's. Raceme/Arp625's/BBI 1.5's/Stainless Diesel 467.7/Airdog 165 4g/Fleece 10mm CP3/GDP grid delete and S3/Hellman VC.....Warp by double r diesel

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cumminswelder View Post
    Would I be good with stock studs?
    You don't have "stock studs", you have stock head bolts. If it were me I'd definitely do studs, (spend the money and buy 625's), BEFORE any fueling, air, or tuning upgrades on a 6.7
    Some people have been fine with stock head bolts and a hot tune but once you start adding fuel and air you're on borrowed time.

Good luck.

8. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I've read a lot about the stock head bolts in the past and found many have had good success running them when under something like 600/650 hp.
    But the disadvantage is the retorquing them during the life of the engone, and in some cases, they can stretch over time and need replacement.
    Studs are the way to go, and in the long haul, the higher end studs are best. This is where the old saying: "you get what you pay for" actually counts.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Skinny pedal is going to be the determining factor. Can you do it on stock bolts? Yes! Would it be better if you did the studs? Yes! If it were me and I had to choose... I could probably be easy enough on my truck until I could grab studs if I had an opportunity for a 2nd gen swap.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

10. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

A good tune and 2nd gen swap will do fine on stock bolts. Yes there are a few still blowing gaskets, but as tuning has evolved, it's getting to be less common. Crappy tuning was the main culprit in the blown head gasket era. I ran rays MCC for near 70k on my 2010, with no hiccups whatsoever. Good tuning makes the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Hey thanks yall, that's what I wanted to hear LOL. I don't plan on big fuel any time soon so it will just be the turbo upgrade. The main thing I wanted was lower drive pressures

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast