Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to increase turbo whistle, 6.7 VGT

1. Top Of Page | #1

How to increase turbo whistle, 6.7 VGT

OK fellas, I'm looking for some advice/experience on methods to increase the turbo whistle on my truck. I'm not looking for the "loud turbo" tune sound you can get from the RaceMe Ultra or Ray's tuning through warp. I'm talking about having louder spool up and over all turbo noise while driving. I've heard mixed reviews and am hoping for some first hand experience. Some say an aftermarket CAI makes a big difference and others say it makes no difference. I've also read that a full EGR delete makes it louder. I have already removed the intake baffle which did make it slightly more noticeable but it is still barely audible. Any and all input would be appreciated and please remember this is for the stock VGT on the 6.7. I realise it will never be as loud as earlier generations, I'm just curious what ya'll have done and what the results have been, thanks.

2014 ram 2500 Tradesmen 4x4 cclb srw 6.7 G56 leveled with 35s on 20x10 moto metal m0970's. MM3 tuned by Ray! FloPro 5in TBE. More mods when the warden and the wallet allow.

2. Likes Hulk liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: How to increase turbo whistle, 6.7 VGT

An aftermarket intake won't really make it much louder than the stock intake with the baffle removed. If you want the most noise out of it possible you need to remove the silencer ring. Mines been out for 2 years now and I haven't had a single issue with it being removed. The turbo is definitely a lot louder. It's not a clean, high pitched whistle like the older generations or an aftermarket turbo but it's a lot better than stock.

To remove it you need to take the compressor housing off the turbo (loosen off the V-band clamp and carefully pull it off without damaging the compressor wheel), then drill out the 3 pins holding the ring in and tap it out. Then simply reinstall the compressor housing.

4. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
    Likes theaaronbush liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The right CAI will definitely make it whistle. The trick is to get one with a 6 in. filter. An AFE stage 2 worked well for me.

Thomas-2012 Saddle Brown Pearl CCSB

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Thanks LB Heating thanked for this post
    Likes LB Heating liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

An open top intake will make a difference. Removing the silencer ring has been a debated subject but mine is out and I have had 0 issues because of it. Short of going 2nd gen swap I think that's about it.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

8. Likes brandonjansen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

What about that baffle between the air box and turbo? I just removed mine today but haven't run the truck yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it. @Noneck I removed the intake baffle on mine. It does make the turbo a little more noticeable in the cab but like I said earlier, it is very miniscule.

2014 ram 2500 Tradesmen 4x4 cclb srw 6.7 G56 leveled with 35s on 20x10 moto metal m0970's. MM3 tuned by Ray! FloPro 5in TBE. More mods when the warden and the wallet allow.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Noneck liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

@TH-64 do you by chance have any recordings of your truck with the AFE installed that you could share with us?

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Sorry, I do not. I have a homemade one now which is similar, but I'm set up at Watkins Glen International for the weekend right now.

Thomas-2012 Saddle Brown Pearl CCSB

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

16. Likes Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have an S&B intake and the only time I can hear the turbo whistle is when I'm cruising and I go over an overpass. My neighbor says he can hear my turbo from a quarter mile away when accelerating but I must not be able to hear it over my exhaust.

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 3" level, 35" tires, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning

18. Likes Noneck, Power247 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    I have an S&B intake and the only time I can hear the turbo whistle is when I'm cruising and I go over an overpass. My neighbor says he can hear my turbo from a quarter mile away when accelerating but I must not be able to hear it over my exhaust.

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 3" level, 35" tires, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning
    Take that lid off if you can and it will be louder if it's not already off

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast