Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squeaking brakes

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

squeaking brakes

Hey everyone. I need some advice.

New-to-me 2014 3500 Laramie MC Dually CTD 43k miles.

The brakes are squealing when I apply them with or without the EB. There is also a small squeal that sounds rotational while driving. I took the truck back to the dealer and they inspected the brakes and said that there is 65% life left in the pads(ceramic metallic) and that the noise is common("they all do it").

The truck is under warranty until November of this year(2013 build date). I don't understand why they wouldn't replace the brakes and solve the problem. There is no issue with braking power, just the squeal.

Does anyone have experience with this?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: squeaking brakes

My 2012 squealed soon after I bought it. I researched some forums and it seemed very common, so I installed NAPA premiums. No squeal since. It did seem silly replacing new brakes but I couldn't stand the noise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Did you only replace the front pads or rotors and all?

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    My 2012 squealed soon after I bought it. I researched some forums and it seemed very common, so I installed NAPA premiums. No squeal since. It did seem silly replacing new brakes but I couldn't stand the noise.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sounds like rotors to me. They are 50 bucks on Amazon. Cheap fix. Go by your local tire place, they should diagnose it for free.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoSpark View Post
    Did you only replace the front pads or rotors and all?
    I rotors and all

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Mine does it too. Only under light braking. Extremely annoying theres a few people I know that swear by putting grease on all the contact points between the caliper, caliper bracket, and the pads. I dont do it because grease just collects a bunch of dust. In theory it should work since the squealing is caused by vibrations while your braking. But if anyone knows of any brake parts that will stay quiet on these trucks until they are wore out. Help all of us out

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoSpark View Post
    Hey everyone. I need some advice.

New-to-me 2014 3500 Laramie MC Dually CTD 43k miles.

The brakes are squealing when I apply them with or without the EB. There is also a small squeal that sounds rotational while driving. I took the truck back to the dealer and they inspected the brakes and said that there is 65% life left in the pads(ceramic metallic) and that the noise is common("they all do it").

The truck is under warranty until November of this year(2013 build date). I don't understand why they wouldn't replace the brakes and solve the problem. There is no issue with braking power, just the squeal.

Does anyone have experience with this?
    If the pads get a fleck of rust or a tiny stone, or even allot of road dust, they will squeak. Eventually it will go away. If you took the pads off and sanded them, it would go away too. There's 10,000 theories why the brakes squeal, all sorts of wives tales why they squeal, but that is the only reason. Just another excuse to sell stuff. Occasionally the rotors get embedded. Same procedure to cure.

Ever look and see smooth grooves in rotors? That's impurities embedded in the pads. Once the impurities are worn off, the pad conforms to the surface and it begins to multiply. Actually, it increases the amount of brake contact surface. Don't get excited. It's not enough to make any difference and just wears the pad faster because it gets hotter.

In the old days, drum brakes would howl (And squeak) The howling was from the shoes getting glazed on the hard asbestos surfaces from overheating. Semi Metallics were developed to reduce that. The metal absorbed the harmonics. But it wears the drums and rotors more.

And that, Boys and Girls, is the end of today's brake squeal 101 class. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

This is annoying as &&it! Only at light braking. Started about 12k miles. Figured it would go away but still there at 50k. Time to stop procrastinating and take a look. I did mention to the dealer and of course they said they don’t warranty after 13k. ***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'06 3500 SRW LWB
    G56 Valair DD
    90HP Dynomite Injs.
    Cat. Removed
    Wallet Empty
    AutoMeter Pyro.

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Mine does the same thing. I’ve noticed when it’s raining they don’t squeak but when it’s dry they do. Seems to be coming from the rear. All my brakes have 50-60% pad left. I have 53,000 on it now.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    If the pads get a fleck of rust or a tiny stone, or even allot of road dust, they will squeak. Eventually it will go away. If you took the pads off and sanded them, it would go away too. There's 10,000 theories why the brakes squeal, all sorts of wives tales why they squeal, but that is the only reason. Just another excuse to sell stuff. Occasionally the rotors get embedded. Same procedure to cure.

Ever look and see smooth grooves in rotors? That's impurities embedded in the pads. Once the impurities are worn off, the pad conforms to the surface and it begins to multiply. Actually, it increases the amount of brake contact surface. Don't get excited. It's not enough to make any difference and just wears the pad faster because it gets hotter.

In the old days, drum brakes would howl (And squeak) The howling was from the shoes getting glazed on the hard asbestos surfaces from overheating. Semi Metallics were developed to reduce that. The metal absorbed the harmonics. But it wears the drums and rotors more.

And that, Boys and Girls, is the end of today's brake squeal 101 class. LOL
    Excellent explanation, and solution. Thanks!

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast