Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  63
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me fall in love again, or time to move on?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Help me fall in love again, or time to move on?

Hiya folks, happy holidays!

So I need some help. I've had a 2017 Ram 2500 CTD LB Laramie since new, but I've fallen out of love. Part of the issue is life has changed and quite frankly I have no use for the towing/hauling capabilities this beast offers anymore. Instead, I get to daily driver it, and as we all know they're not the best at that task, especially a LB version.

Here's how she sits today:

I'm seriously considering selling it and getting a smaller truck (aka far less capable but easier to drive daily?) Orrrr.... do I put a few more bucks into this and get that front leveled, go with true 35" tires and a different rim (better offset to improve the stance)? I'm also open to pulling the shell, removing the steps, removing the splash guards... basically I'm trying to decide between starting over with a new smaller truck, or tweaking this one to make it look a little more "cool", which would probably get me excited to drive it daily (and put up with the negatives of using a truck like this for that).

What would you do?

PS: Yes, first world problems. No, I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to make this 'fun' again as I can afford to 'play' a little. I'm hoping to get some ideas from others who might have been/are in similar situations. Thanks in advance!

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Help me fall in love again, or time to move on?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
    Hiya folks, happy holidays!

So I need some help. I've had a 2017 Ram 2500 CTD LB Laramie since new, but I've fallen out of love. Part of the issue is life has changed and quite frankly I have no use for the towing/hauling capabilities this beast offers anymore. Instead, I get to daily driver it, and as we all know they're not the best at that task, especially a LB version.

Here's how she sits today:

I'm seriously considering selling it and getting a smaller truck (aka far less capable but easier to drive daily?) Orrrr.... do I put a few more bucks into this and get that front leveled, go with true 35" tires and a different rim (better offset to improve the stance)? I'm also open to pulling the shell, removing the steps, removing the splash guards... basically I'm trying to decide between starting over with a new smaller truck, or tweaking this one to make it look a little more "cool", which would probably get me excited to drive it daily (and put up with the negatives of using a truck like this for that).

What would you do?

PS: Yes, first world problems. No, I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to make this 'fun' again as I can afford to 'play' a little. I'm hoping to get some ideas from others who might have been/are in similar situations. Thanks in advance!
    Wow Just wow. Sorry my shrink couch isn't big enough for a 2500. LOL

That's a tough spot to be in. I fell out of love with my 08, 6 months after I bought it. Man that was a sharp looking truck. But instead, I traded it for my all time favorite color and an older model. Unfortunately I have diesel fuel for blood. Been messing with diesels for 55 years. Nothing like a Cummins. The nice thing about getting an older truck is I have been building it the way I wanted it. After 5 years, I finally got it where I want it. But Damn. My age is setting in and health issues with my wife, has put it's existance in danger. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't know any other way of helping you but feed you with 70 years of experiences and wisdom. @AnOldBiker is decades older than me. He may have more. At least you have some food for thought.

You could trade for a truck and rebuild it piece by piece to make it a daily driver to kill for

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes watersupply189, BigJ liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I neglected to say I do all my own work. If you do that kind of thing, every project you finish makes you feel like you are closer to your goal. Just don't have a goal. The green truck is done now. It's just maint and make it perddy again. Definitely a head turner

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes watersupply189, BigJ liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Wow Just wow. Sorry my shrink couch isn't big enough for a 2500. LOL...
    Hah! Well if you can't fit the truck on your couch, you sure as hell can't fit me (6'9" 330lbs)

Appreciate the thoughts Pol. Lots to consider, for sure. Fortunately I'm in no rush. At the time, this was my dream truck. Since life has changed though... FWIW I'm coming from having had a Raptor that was pretty decked out and used as intended. A lot. Beat on that thing to within an inch of its life, actually. Talk about different worlds...

Would love to keep this under a car cover and daily drive something else, but that's not realistic (no space to store it, don't want it to waste away under there, too much money tied up to just sit there, etc...) So I'm left wondering if I can convert this to something that would allow me to find out 'where that dirt road goes?' without constantly worrying I cant get turned around and bail out (yay long beds!). Or get me excited to drive it daily... I like this look as it is now, but something is missing. I just can't put my finger on what.

On the surface it sure sounds like its time to sell and move on, and do something like you did. A project does appeal to me. But I also recognize I pretty much have the best of the best right now. Would hate to end up feeling like I took a step backwards.

Decisions decisions... you sure you can't just push two couches together for me?

8. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I was in love with my truck the first time I saw it and that was months before I bought it. A few mods that I have done to keep the flame lit was upgrading the radio and speakers,. Adding auxiliary lighting and most recently I added 20s and 35s last winter and I am in love yet again. So much so now that I can't even imagine owning a different truck right now.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

10. Likes BigJ, watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

This is sounding like back in my 20's and 30's. The main outcome was two items. I went thru a lot of money and was never happy until I settled down. Then one day I took the time to figure out what I really wanted in my life and what I needed to accomplish it. Wasn't easy looking deep with in me and at my life. Once I did that, life has been great since.

When you make the time .. calm down .. look at what it is that you really want in life .. not in just this moment of passion.
    You'll be happier and have way more money in your pocket.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Likes watersupply189, BigJ liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Why not keep it the way it is and get another cheaper car that is fun to daily drive? Like a mustang GT or something?

This is my daily driver/ toy. On its way to go get exhaust installed. This was recorded before I got my Ram.

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Man that’s a purdy truck! Not sure where you live but some tuning from DRD will make you smile each time you hit the skinny pedal...4d long bed doesn’t mean you have to be a slouch on the freeway! I say upgrade what you have but to each their own!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. These thoughts and pics are helping...

When I get some time I'll pull the steps (no smallins to worry about) and see what I see. The tires are about done and need to be replaced. May just bite the bullet and swap wheels to a different size/offset at the same time. Which probably means leveling it too... bet it ends up looking totally different.

Tex: you nailed it... this is a "purdy" truck, but its not a "BigJ" truck (so says my wife). I'm not a purdy truck guy. I'm a badass truck guy . I think its a few tweaks away from becoming just that.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
    Thanks guys. These thoughts and pics are helping...

When I get some time I'll pull the steps (no smallins to worry about) and see what I see. The tires are about done and need to be replaced. May just bite the bullet and swap wheels to a different size/offset at the same time. Which probably means leveling it too... bet it ends up looking totally different.

Tex: you nailed it... this is a "purdy" truck, but its not a "BigJ" truck (so says my wife). I'm not a purdy truck guy. I'm a badass truck guy . I think its a few tweaks away from becoming just that.
    I feel like we would have similar (obv we do with the 4d longbox) - There is a fine line between badass and work truck....you want purdy badass! I have resisted the full replacement bumpers all the way around and headache racks. Like you were saying if you level it with some larger tires to make it have an aggressive stance with some other tasteful mods (maybe cab lights? light bar between hooks?) I am very happy with the AMP steps - pricey but worth the $$ IMO....I don't always feel like hopping up in the seat and you dont know they are there looking from the side!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

20. Likes watersupply189, BigJ liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast