Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Is Extended warranty with the $

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Is Extended warranty with the $

I was curious about the average cost of major repairs. Like Engine, transmission, differentials, turbo.....

I purchased current truck with 53k miles

I'm not currently under any warrant?

I put about 20-25k miles on my last truck a year.

A warrant i was looking into runs about $6k for 4years unlimited mileage warranty with all major parts I'm concerned with covered. By the plan. $200 deductible.

Was wondering if it's worth the$?

Like would 1 major repair be over the $6k?
    Engine Failure cost?
    Turbo or fuel system failure cost?
    Driveline failure cost?
    Trans failure cost?
    You get the jist of what I'm asking.
    Repaired by a RAM dealer with OE parts of course.

I would appreciate everyone's input.
    Especially the ones who have had to deal with major repairs not covered and had to dish out of pocket. I take care of the truck and hope I dont have any major issues. but I also know things break.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Is Extended warranty with the $

Quote Originally Posted by 13RamSltCrew6.7Evin View Post
    I was curious about the average cost of major repairs. Like Engine, transmission, differentials, turbo.....

I purchased current truck with 53k miles

I'm not currently under any warrant?

I put about 20-25k miles on my last truck a year.

A warrant i was looking into runs about $6k for 4years unlimited mileage warranty with all major parts I'm concerned with covered. By the plan. $200 deductible.

Was wondering if it's worth the$?

Like would 1 major repair be over the $6k?
    Engine Failure cost?
    Turbo or fuel system failure cost?
    Driveline failure cost?
    Trans failure cost?
    You get the jist of what I'm asking.
    Repaired by a RAM dealer with OE parts of course.

I would appreciate everyone's input.
    Especially the ones who have had to deal with major repairs not covered and had to dish out of pocket. I take care of the truck and hope I dont have any major issues. but I also know things break.

So I'm not a diesel tech so I cant answer any of your questions as far as pricing except all things listed are expensive LOL. But I am an auto tech and I deal with after factory warranty company's every day at carmax. And just be sure to do your research on the warranty company you choose. They can be a pain in the a$$ and only want to cover a partial amount of the repair. Or want to replace expensive parts with junk yard parts. Just be careful alot of them do not have you or your truck in their best interest. They just want that 6k up front and then not want to pay for repairs.but if you get a good one that will cover pretty much all parts that aren't wear and tear and will pay for oem parts its definately worth it. For example. I had an extended warranty on my last Cummins. They replaced the trans no questions. But then I needed a radiator and they only wanted to cover 60% of the repair. Then ball joint and they wanted to cover $40 a ball joint. So needless to say I did most covered repairs myself because it was cheaper for me. There is a few shops I've worked for that would refuse to do work with an aftermarket warranty due to them not wanting to pay. I hope this helps.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks dwelsh your input is greatly appreciated. I will definitely be doing lots of research on the company that I chose if I go that route.

Hopefully well get a few other members that can also talk from 1st hand experience.

5. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I am on the opposite side of that fence. I never buy any extra add-ons or warranty for any purchase I make... vehicles, appliances, electronics.
    I deleted my truck and installed a dual remote bypass oil filter at 3000 miles. My theory is to take care of the truck and hopefully never need the warranty. The fuel pump crapped out on me, but I wanted a Fass anyway.
    This approach definitely is not for everyone, but it works for me. I would take that $6,000, put it towards a built transmission, and hammer down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 13RamSltCrew6.7Evin View Post
    Thanks dwelsh your input is greatly appreciated. I will definitely be doing lots of research on the company that I chose if I go that route.

Hopefully well get a few other members that can also talk from 1st hand experience.

6000 is alot of money. And can buy a whole lot of parts. I completely agree with @TH-64. I recon it all boils down to your preferences and what you plan to do with the truck. If you plan to tune and delete. The warranty company is not going to cover anything engine or drivetrain related. If you so wheels and tires they aren't going to cover anything suspension related. But as for me and alot of others here . If something breaks. it needed upgrades anyways and the warranty company doesn't cover upgrades.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

8. Thanks 13RamSltCrew6.7Evin thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    I am on the opposite side of that fence. I never buy any extra add-ons or warranty for any purchase I make... vehicles, appliances, electronics.
    I deleted my truck and installed a dual remote bypass oil filter at 3000 miles. My theory is to take care of the truck and hopefully never need the warranty. The fuel pump crapped out on me, but I wanted a Fass anyway.
    This approach definitely is not for everyone, but it works for me. I would take that $6,000, put it towards a built transmission, and hammer down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for mentioning that TH-64.
    I'm definitely doing the Delete with engine and trans programming. More for Engine longevity than to boost HP. And getting some wheels. So it may be better to just set $ aside like a cash fund. To deal with repairs as they come.

10. Thanks Dwelsh thanked for this post
    Likes Dwelsh, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I agree as well. i never purchase the extended warranty either. The dealer will have your vehicle longer then a shop could have it all fixed up. Or if you have the tools and knowledge you can have it done before the dealer with no hassle LOL!

Aftermarket parts will make the truck a better driving vehicle and i think you would be much happier with that then with something completely stock that has the potential to break again sooner.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I can't speak to any specific plan, but for the most part added on warranties don't payback in the long run. It's why they generlly have high commission rates for the salesperson. I believe you have the right idea put the money in the bank and sit on it until you have a major expense.

I happen to be a big fan of Dave Ramsey, the financial advisor, and one of the things I do have is an emergency fund set aside for those unexpected expenses. I just put a small payment each month into the fund and have been able to take care of some major repairs not just on trucks I have owned but also on the house.

13. Thanks 13RamSltCrew6.7Evin thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Put the 6k in the bank and add what you can afford once or twice a month. I personally would not even buy a vehicle that I thought was going to have a catastrophic failure. I have owned 4 Dodge rams and never had a major issue.
    All but the 17 were bought used, and 2 I put over 100k on.