Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: coolant refill after EGR cooler removal

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

coolant refill after EGR cooler removal

Hey y'all,
    Stupid question, and I think I know the answer, but I just want to make sure I've got this.

I have a 2017, and the reservoir seems to be at the highest point in the system.
    So, after I've removed the EGR cooler and I need to top off the coolant, is there any need to bleed air?
    I know I need OAT 50/50, is there anything else I need to know about the coolant refill?
    I don't plan to drain all the coolant, I just plan to refill whatever I lose.

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: coolant refill after EGR cooler removal

Quote Originally Posted by gravelscratcher View Post
    Hey y'all,
    Stupid question, and I think I know the answer, but I just want to make sure I've got this.

I have a 2017, and the reservoir seems to be at the highest point in the system.
    So, after I've removed the EGR cooler and I need to top off the coolant, is there any need to bleed air?
    I know I need OAT 50/50, is there anything else I need to know about the coolant refill?
    I don't plan to drain all the coolant, I just plan to refill whatever I lose.
    No need to purge air

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2015 laramie 3500 CCLB G56 4x4/Thuren springs/trackbar/swaybar with King's on Walker's with 37 Toyo mt's. Raceme/Arp625's/BBI 1.5's/Stainless Diesel 467.7/Airdog 165 4g/Fleece 10mm CP3/GDP grid delete and S3/Hellman VC.....Warp by double r diesel

4. Thanks gravelscratcher thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Like stated you should be fine my friend. After a few heat cycles let it cool down and check the level in the radiator as well as the coolant tank.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks gravelscratcher thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I drained about 1 gallon from the radiator when I did mine and lost very little coolant when removing the EGR cooler. I poured it back into the reservoir and was fine, I actually had a little left over.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

8. Thanks gravelscratcher thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    I drained about 1 gallon from the radiator when I did mine and lost very little coolant when removing the EGR cooler. I poured it back into the reservoir and was fine, I actually had a little left over.
    I cannot locate the drain for the radiator on my 2017, doing the EGR delete now... please help!

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Camp2SeaDoo View Post
    I cannot locate the drain for the radiator on my 2017, doing the EGR delete now... please help!
    It’s down on the bottom in either the left or right corner

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    It’s down on the bottom in either the left or right corner
    Thanks Big Dan, Well it got dark and I got tired after a full day of work before this so I'll wait until tomorrow morning... I think I see something that might be a drain on the bottom driver's side... I got most of it done, I was able to loosen the rear cooler nuts, just making sure I could get to them and with a swivel head socket on the drivers side, a straight ratchet wrench on the passenger side I did. Hardest part was that I dropped a 10mm socket down below the turbo, took me 1/2 hr to hunt it down with a magnet stick! Doh! I'll probably call in a mental-health day at work and finish... Looking better already, I appreciate the help!

BEFORE picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9eJ8POqjbwxPhHvq1

SO FAR picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9cLrIoFivLrMZOIz1

14. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

The drain is on the drivers side bottom of the radiator.
    Pull the wheel liner out for easy access.

Lower left corner of this picture.

Here is the drain

Drain about a gallon that will be enough.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post