Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cross country fuel issues!!!!!!

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: cross country fuel issues!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    Did he test the fuel pressure? A weak lift pump will still have fuel volume but the pressure will be low and cause a rough or no start and loss of power. Primer button should get to the point where it is really hard to push and you should hear the relief valve opening on top of the injection pump. Not saying it doesn't happen but it's very rare for a p7100 pump to go bad.
    so im assuming then that while priming normally theres no resistance no matter how long i pump it but when i pinch the rubber return line it becomes difficult that my lift pump no longer has pressure its bad? i understand that the best way to test is with a gauge but i dont have one and theres no one who can come out and test it. i lost faith in the guy i was working with. if its not the lift pump im *** outa luck and have to ship the vehicle, so as long as this is an indication that its bad i dont mind throwing the money at it without 100% certainty as whats 130 bucks when im looking at 1500 shipping and 1200 for a uhaul for my trailer. thank you!

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

If you get resistance with the rubber hose pinched then the lift pump may be ok and your check valve on the injection pump could be the issue. If you get resistance with the line pinched then start it and see how it runs

3. Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

If you get resistance with the rubber hose pinched then the lift pump may be ok and your check valve on the injection pump could be the issue. If you get resistance with the line pinched then start it and see how it runs
    awesome! i just did that and while there wasnt much improvement there was improvement when i pinched the line. i had checked the check valve my first day here nd it looked great spring was still strong ball moved freely. previously i couldnt get it past probably 1200rpm before shed cut out and just shook like hell. with the line pinched i could get it up to about 1800rpm and it would hold and was smoother. where im at im gonna go ahead and change the lift pump at 186k and cross my fingers. i really appreciate your help you may have just saved me an insane amount of money!

5. Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

No problem, good luck with the lift pump. Last one I did I removed the filter housing and did it front the top. It's not a very fun job. I put a new one on my 97 at 170k and that new one took a crap at 190k.

7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sunstone53 View Post
    hey everyone, im currently going across country (starting in maine now in tennessee and destination being california). im hauling Roughly 5k between bed weight and trailer. truck is a 97 2500 cummins 5spd with 186k. only modifications are air intake and the industrial injection 300hp injectors. last night when i took the off ramp to my hotel for the night i put it in neutral as i was coming to a stop and she died on me, i put it in 4th let out the clutch and she came back on but was idling very low about half the rpm as whats normal. i parked it and got some sleep and this morning i went out to start it and had the same issue of low idle. when i try to rev it she gets to maybe 1800 rpm and dies out. i just replaced the fuel filter when i did the oil change the day before i left so i made sure the filter housing was tight and primed it again just to be sure there was no air in it but had the same issue as before with the idle and see no leaks when i prime it with everything tight (not sure if this is a good check, still learning my way with a diesel) i dont have a pressure gauge installed but i dont think theres any doubt i have a pressure problem. also ill note that everything was going great the whole trip so far right up to the point where i hit the off ramp. from my limited research this morning im thinking its my fuel check valve. im seing most having to replace it at around the 300k mark so 185k is a bit premature for a failure but its not like it cant happen. im going to try and get my hands on one once local napa opens up ( i know not the best source but when stranded you gotta do what ya gotta do LOL). my question is am i on the right track and what else should i check out and can do in a motel parking lot. i have the tools i need and mechanical aptitude do most anything. thank you for your future response!
    Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    do you know the fuel pressure going into the P-Pump? is it possible the lift pump is flowing less than it should?

Also NAPA, I feel is more knowledgable than crapvance or auto zone.
    When priming does the plunger get hard to push? You could pinch off the rubber return line behind the filter and see if that helps, If so then start with the relief valve, If not then you need to get the pressure tested to see if the lift pump is worn out
    Quote Originally Posted by david3gen View Post
    I’m thinking liftpump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    x2
    Did he test the fuel pressure? A weak lift pump will still have fuel volume but the pressure will be low and cause a rough or no start and loss of power. Primer button should get to the point where it is really hard to push and you should hear the relief valve opening on top of the injection pump. Not saying it doesn't happen but it's very rare for a p7100 pump to go bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Agreed the P7100 Bosch Injection Pump very rarely ever wears out I had 307,000 plus and it still runs strong however the mechanical lift pump wears out quite a bit
    so im assuming then that while priming normally theres no resistance no matter how long i pump it but when i pinch the rubber return line it becomes difficult that my lift pump no longer has pressure its bad? i understand that the best way to test is with a gauge but i dont have one and theres no one who can come out and test it. i lost faith in the guy i was working with. if its not the lift pump im *** outa luck and have to ship the vehicle, so as long as this is an indication that its bad i dont mind throwing the money at it without 100% certainty as whats 130 bucks when im looking at 1500 shipping and 1200 for a uhaul for my trailer. thank you!
    The Jury is back on this one. It's all the symptoms of a bad lift. That injector pump sucks as lift. The VP44 was better. I think your guy may be taking you for a ride. However, the injector pump could have been damaged due to a bad lift pump. You should change the lift pump anyway while doing this job. I would have him install a new lift pump first.

BTW, in the future, check with our vendors. Some have better resources and may have been able to get you a new pump the next day

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes david3gen, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

hahaha yeah as time went on i really lost faith in this guy and cut ties before it was too late. tomorrow im walking down to napa whos got a lift pump and im gonna change it out in the hotel parking lot and hopefully be on my way. im crossing my fingers it didnt damage my injection pump, it was about 2 hours of driving between stopping for gas and everything was working just fine, to the point where i decided to call it a night and she died as i came to a stop. with no hickups inbetween. if it did take a toll on it i dont have the time to fix that and will just ship it ou west and do it there. but the more i hear peoples opinions that its the lift pump the more hope i get!

10. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

hahaha yeah as time went on i really lost faith in this guy and cut ties before it was too late. tomorrow im walking down to napa whos got a lift pump and im gonna change it out in the hotel parking lot and hopefully be on my way. im crossing my fingers it didnt damage my injection pump, it was about 2 hours of driving between stopping for gas and everything was working just fine, to the point where i decided to call it a night and she died as i came to a stop. with no hickups inbetween. if it did take a toll on it i dont have the time to fix that and will just ship it ou west and do it there. but the more i hear peoples opinions that its the lift pump the more hope i get!
    I feel like most of us here have owned a 12V at one time. the p-pumps are near indestructable, I had 3 of them, I had 1 with the VE pump too. I miss my 93 the most, as that ended up becoming the fummins, a labor of love. the 97 was great too.

it might not be the worst thing to buy a pressure gauge, or see if you can get one through the advance, or auto zone loaner too program. Mine was not expensive.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

11. Likes david3gen liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

well i changed the lift pump yesterday. no changes in my issues, still have the the low idle, rough stumbling high rpm with white smoke just no change. theres a guy out here putting some work on hold and getting me in tomorrow for the injection pump

13. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

well i changed the lift pump yesterday. no changes in my issues, still have the the low idle, rough stumbling high rpm with white smoke just no change. theres a guy out here putting some work on hold and getting me in tomorrow for the injection pump
    however there is noticeable resistance when i prime it and more fuel coming out the bleed bolt so now im thinkin my lift pump did crap out and damaged my injection pump

14. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Could be air in the injection lines now. Sometimes it take 10 min or so of running to get everything bled out. Remove your ofv and stretch the spring to about 9/16ths and see what that does

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast