Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil change time frame and mileage

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Oil change time frame and mileage

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I just did a 15000 mile service duel and oil filters 7500 miles on this oil change and it was probably the worst oil I seen. Also just finished up my delete so hopefully it starts looking better.
    When I changed mine after 1,500 miles (first change) it was the worst oil I have seen, black and it just looked weird on the drain pan. This is my first diesel truck, but I have changed oil in 6-71 and 8-92 Detroit Diesel marine engines and the oil in those was black but this was different, there was like a residue that stuck to the funnel on my drain pan, looked like little clumps of particles. I sent a sample to Blackstone and it came back fine. I am planing to change it again soon when I get time and test again (I am at about 4,000 miles), I just did a full delete so after the next change I will see what effect that has on how it looks.

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I just did a 15000 mile service duel and oil filters 7500 miles on this oil change and it was probably the worst oil I seen. Also just finished up my delete so hopefully it starts looking better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oil is funny. I worked with turbines and compressors for decades. The oil in many went in honey color, ran 24/7, or 2+ years and came out honey colored. Yet we sent in a sample and it was really off spec and the recommendation was to change out every 3 months, test and if good, increase by 1 month until somewhat close to off spec.

Now we had one that concerned us becasue the oil was black and had a slight stinch of a smell. Samples sent in and it was perfectly fine. We did this every week for over 4 months and was told by the lab to just test once per year and we'll go from there. In the end, we ended up keeping in running for the 2 year run and flush / change when we shut the unit down for normal turn-a-round work.

Don't go by anything less than a oil sample. It tells you what is ACTUALLY happening IN your engine.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes david3gen, Noneck liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Oil sampling is a great way to understand what is going on with the engine. It is best to send in a sample on the first oil change to get a baseline for YOUR engine then go from there.

6. Likes AnOldBiker, david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I was going to run the Amsoil full synthetic oil that is 25,000 or 1 year which ever comes first along with the Amsoil 25,000 or 1-year filter. Dodge recommends 15,000 miles or 6 months with standard oil.

When I spoke with Amsoil they said that their product I am looking at running will double bot the manufacturer intervals just not over their 25,000 miles and 1 year.

I asked if I should do an oil sample and he said there is no need as long as I don't go over the 25,000 and 1-year mark.

2014 Dodge 2500 CC 4x4 SB Zone 6.5” lift with20” TIS wheels wrapped with 37” tires/AFE cold air intake/ BD Throttle sensitivity booster/ MM3 custom tuned by Ray @ DOUBLERDIESEL/ 4" flo-pro full delete. ARP head studs in the works.

8. Likes david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Just for laughs, call BlackStone Lab in Indiana and ask.
    You might be surprised.
    I compared their reports with my companies lab and they were the same.
    So since retired, I can't use the companies lab anymore.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com

Blackstone Laboratories
    416 East Pettit Avenue
    Fort Wayne, IN 46806

260/744-2380 (8-5 EST)

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Thanks Cummins7, cosmicIPA thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I change my oil every 3000 miles or so. Colder environment and daily driver...

Eric
    2013 / 3500 Tradesman / 6.7L / G56 / CCLB / SWD

12. Thanks Reaper59 thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, Reaper59 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Thanks for the recommendation! Very cool. I'll send some oil in for analysis. I always have changed the oil around 3k miles because of the emissions (I haven't deleted EGR because of extended warranty, YET !) Eric

Eric
    2013 / 3500 Tradesman / 6.7L / G56 / CCLB / SWD

14. Likes david3gen liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I change oil,filter and fuelfilter once a year no matter what. Because my truck sits a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

So I just finished doing a full delete on my 2012 and I changed oil and filter and put 5W40 synthetic in for the winter. Can I reset my oil change message reminder if it hasn't come on yet? If I turn the key to the second click and pump the gas pedal to the floor 3 times, will it start the reminder from scratch? How can you tell if it's reset?

17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    So I just finished doing a full delete on my 2012 and I changed oil and filter and put 5W40 synthetic in for the winter. Can I reset my oil change message reminder if it hasn't come on yet? If I turn the key to the second click and pump the gas pedal to the floor 3 times, will it start the reminder from scratch? How can you tell if it's reset?
    Yes, that will reset the counter. I don't know of a way to tell other than you won't see it again for 7500 miles.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

18. Thanks ywgbandit thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast