Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Deciding on tuner

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Deciding on tuner

Ok..... I'm not a programmer or tuner but do have an understanding of EFI and have built Hot rods my whole life.

I'm unhappy with what's become of the Cummins engine with emissions and such. It's a beautiful piece of equipment capable of lots of power. Racing them would-be lots of fun but that is not my goal. I'm an old school hemi guy and prefer racing gas. Super stock to be specific.my best time was 8.63 @168 mph. But that was in 1979 when people didn't do that.

I want my truck to be dependable, get good mph, and have some nuts. Safely as possible.
    Fooling around with the ECU is enevidable these days to achieve the results.

Basically there are two types of tuners for RT or RTG Real time or Real time group if using raceme or ezlynk is the 1st platform. And the 2nd is used for EFI live (forget what it's called at this time.......

But from what I understand (don't know it to be100% factual, but have heard it argued) that RT and RTG platforms are changing the ECU checksums that were put in place by the manufacturer to safeguard the system. Where the latter (EFI live) keeps theb factory checksums in place.

I actually prefer the benefits of RT as far as speed ,ease of use ,and the price point is also a bit lower on mm3/ezlynk ECT than the latter EFI. But the risk of removing checksums troubles me.

An answer like if your worried about it go EFI does me no good whatsoever.

I'm also aware that ultimately which way you go it depends on your tuner your expectations and limitations of the vehicle
    That being said can someone offer me a technical explanation of how removing checksums is safe? Or do I have I been misled.
    Keeping the tuner out of the loop which product offers most benefits with least risk.

I'm not looking to race. Stock truck w/the deletes and a bump or two maybe 3 LOL fine for street for me. Plenty of power to work and play.

So what to do?????

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Deciding on tuner

@Double R Diesel should be able to answer best. He is amazing with what he can do with an MM3

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrowley View Post
    Ok..... I'm not a programmer or tuner but do have an understanding of EFI and have built Hot rods my whole life.

I'm unhappy with what's become of the Cummins engine with emissions and such. It's a beautiful piece of equipment capable of lots of power. Racing them would-be lots of fun but that is not my goal. I'm an old school hemi guy and prefer racing gas. Super stock to be specific.my best time was 8.63 @168 mph. But that was in 1979 when people didn't do that.

I want my truck to be dependable, get good mph, and have some nuts. Safely as possible.
    Fooling around with the ECU is enevidable these days to achieve the results.

Basically there are two types of tuners for RT or RTG Real time or Real time group if using raceme or ezlynk is the 1st platform. And the 2nd is used for EFI live (forget what it's called at this time.......

But from what I understand (don't know it to be100% factual, but have heard it argued) that RT and RTG platforms are changing the ECU checksums that were put in place by the manufacturer to safeguard the system. Where the latter (EFI live) keeps theb factory checksums in place.

I actually prefer the benefits of RT as far as speed ,ease of use ,and the price point is also a bit lower on mm3/ezlynk ECT than the latter EFI. But the risk of removing checksums troubles me.

An answer like if your worried about it go EFI does me no good whatsoever.

I'm also aware that ultimately which way you go it depends on your tuner your expectations and limitations of the vehicle
    That being said can someone offer me a technical explanation of how removing checksums is safe? Or do I have I been misled.
    Keeping the tuner out of the loop which product offers most benefits with least risk.

I'm not looking to race. Stock truck w/the deletes and a bump or two maybe 3 LOL fine for street for me. Plenty of power to work and play.

So what to do?????
    Ray from Double R Diesel is a tuning wizard best in buisness as far as a lot of people on this forum are concerned plus he is a great guy

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, MrCrowley thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I've been watching him and do trust him. I'm sure we could have a good conversation. But if he is like me what I really need is an answer to the question. I really can't afford the risk unless it was explained and i understood it. Believe me that's the way I would like to go.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Just give Ray a call, and have a conversation with him if you want. I did that before I bought mine.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, MrCrowley thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yes sir i second Ray at Double R diesel. Literally out of all the tuning out there i only chose 3 to sell as of right now and Double R diesel's is definitely on that list! The tunes he creates are safe ( as long as you take care of your drive line ) and he fully backs his tunes up and if there is an issue he will stop at nothing to fix it. If I'm not mistaken i think the MM3 tuner uses a little bit of both RT and RTG.

Ray will definitely have to chime in on this one to better tell ya, but i think you will be extremely happy with the MM3 capabilities.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, MrCrowley thanked for this post