Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: TOWing to the 9's

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

TOWing to the 9's

G'day,

Here is my predicament.... we intend to buy a fifth wheel (40', 16k empty) to go camping all around America. I figure we are gonna go camping on at least one big trip every year with lots of lil jaunts thru the Black Hills. I know I want to delete EGR (or at least shut it off) and change out the exhaust to something that goes from cat back (if that's even possible). Not ever gonna race the truck (if I want a speed fix, The Hulk will do just fine). Just enjoy it and use it for what we intended - to pull a shitload!

It has 3.73 LSD gears with 68RFE. I'm intending to install a 2-stage airbag setup from Kelderman to smooth out and help the ride. Beyond that.... that's it. not gonna lift it. not gonna put bigger tires on it.

I figured I only needed a RACEme Ultra with box tunes since I don't need all the fancy, schmancy tunes. Just tow and do it well. Once it's set up, I'm done.

What would be my best option, folks??? I realize I get lots of support on down the road, but if I'm GTG from the start, why change a good thing?

Thanks ahead of time for your insight.

Scot "Zee"

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Snow Dodge liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: TOWing to the 9's

@2rr2nv2014 welcome friend. 😄

Sounds like you have a good game plan. 👍

🏁Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!🏁

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Thanks Snow Dodge thanked for this post
    Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

There are most definately lots of options for you out there pertaining to tuners. MM3 tuners, smarty, Edge and more! There are definately some good options for exhaust as well. you have definately come to the right place for all your questions!

Also!

Welcome to the forum!!! We are most definitely glad you joined and are apart of our wonderful family!!!!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Snow Dodge thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Snow Dodge liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2rr2nv2014 View Post
    G'day,

Here is my predicament.... we intend to buy a fifth wheel (40', 16k empty) to go camping all around America. I figure we are gonna go camping on at least one big trip every year with lots of lil jaunts thru the Black Hills. I know I want to delete EGR (or at least shut it off) and change out the exhaust to something that goes from cat back (if that's even possible). Not ever gonna race the truck (if I want a speed fix, The Hulk will do just fine). Just enjoy it and use it for what we intended - to pull a shitload!

It has 3.73 LSD gears with 68RFE. I'm intending to install a 2-stage airbag setup from Kelderman to smooth out and help the ride. Beyond that.... that's it. not gonna lift it. not gonna put bigger tires on it.

I figured I only needed a RACEme Ultra with box tunes since I don't need all the fancy, schmancy tunes. Just tow and do it well. Once it's set up, I'm done.

What would be my best option, folks??? I realize I get lots of support on down the road, but if I'm GTG from the start, why change a good thing?

Thanks ahead of time for your insight.

Scot "Zee"
    I wouldn't play around if your gonna do you want to do it right bud I would talk to Ray at Double R Diesel he will point you in the right direction as far as tuners if it was me I would go with the RaceMe MM3 with all the awesome tunes that Ray does and would look at Flo Pro if you are going to delete exhaust get 5" TBE you'll love it

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

well, I'd rather not spend excess cash on something I'll never use. As much as I would love to have different tunes to do almost anything, I know myself and I'm not all into the bells and whistles for a tow rig. heck, my truck doesn't even have leather (my wife wanted leather but I said... Who's truck is it? oh yeah. mine). sure, i can afford the Laramie TOP DOG, but don't need it nor do I care for it. I really want what will get the job done. No frills, no thrills.

In the future, I would like to buy an ole Dodge and mod the F out of it so I can play, but it won't be used for anything other than leaving black marks and cruising. That is many years down the road. have lots of other things I want to do first... like break 200mph on the bike. bucket list item to be sure. build a Cobra... minor stuff... LOL

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have traveled the same road you are on a few times. With that being said. here is my recommendation. Deleting the egr and DPF and going with a tuner is the right step , but pulling that load I would strongly recommend going with the MM3 with warp tuning. The mm3 allows for transmission tuning as does the Raceme, but the cost to add transmission tuning to the raceme warrants getting the MM3.

You don't have to get all the bells and whistles but I always try and balance everything out, namely, by adding better tuning to the engine why would you not add better tuning to the transmission ? You will make a good existing towing platform Great. If for no other reason, getting a set up from Ray @ double r diesel, gets you personal quick answers and help should you need it. You can see from my signature what I drive and I pull around 23000 Lbs often and the difference with proper tuning is night and day.

2015 Lone Star 3500 Dually 4x4 , Levelling kit . Amp steps , ranch hand bumpers and headache rack , air bags , XD rims, B&W gooseneck , LED spots , 100 gallon fuel tank , MM3 with Warp from Double R Diesel , SS 4" exhaust with muffler.

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

You will not be able to delete just the egr with raceme ultra and box tunes. For that you would want a mm3 and a custom tune. @Double R Diesel can hook you up with that. Cat back exhaust is a waste of money in my opinion. Nothing to gain from it.

Edit-
    You could get the egrless custom tune with the ultra also. But what I'm saying is if all you want to delete is egr and you have not purchased anything yet, mm3 might be better off.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

12. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

yeah, haven't bought anything cause I want to make sure I make the right choice.
    guess I should have clarified about exhaust... get rid of muffler, DPF (if possible), and DEF (if possible). at a min. if not, then just shut it "off"? however that works...
    as far as the cat, thought that it kept the smell down cause I'd rather not have a truck stinking up the "place". I know I want to get rid of the DPF or at least shut down the DEF...
    not an expert by any means, so trying to figure what I can get rid of , or not....I don't want have to get my DPF cleaned out or replaced since I currently do a lot of short trips. When I worked in the mines of WY, I was commuting 145miles 1-way (unless I actually drove TO the mine, then make it closer to 200 1-way) and hardly ever saw it go into Regen. now, totally different story.
    hate wasting a ton of gas for no reason.....

oh, and yeah, I do want some trans tuning cause I hear the 68RFE doesn't last long in stock form and I'd rather hold off on modding it WAAAAAAAAAY down the road....like when it blows up. the longer the better. LOL

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Ok I see now LOL! Well that's all doable with ultra, right up until you said you wanted some good trans tuning. Think I'd still talk to Ray @Double R Diesel when he gets back Monday or Tuesday about a mm3 and custom tuning. Save big money in the long run if you decided you wanted custom tuning and didn't care for the box tuning. I do think the box tunes are good engine tuning, but the trans tuning upgrades are minor compared to what can be custom tuned. That's the main reason .

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

15. Likes Noneck liked this post