Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Exhaust damping

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Exhaust damping

I feel I might be getting too old!
    What is everyone using to quiet their exhaust down? I have the 4" straight exhaust. I recently did the 2nd gen swap and man this thing is loud. Will a simple straight through muffler quiet it down? Thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust damping

Some folks are installing a resonator to kill the drone, you could look around the forum and find quite a few threads about that. I have the 4" Flo-Pro w/muffler and it's perfect for me, but I imagine any muffler will be an improvement over a straight pipe.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    Some folks are installing a resonator to kill the drone, you could look around the forum and find quite a few threads about that. I have the 4" Flo-Pro w/muffler and it's perfect for me, but I imagine any muffler will be an improvement over a straight pipe.
    Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks

6. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

My buddy has a 5" flo pro with the muffler and its damn near stock inside. Granted he doesn't have the 2nd gen swap, which is going to make a ton of air noise but the muffler really quiets it down. If you don't want to go that quiet, I've heard great things about the flo pro twister resonator. Ram Beast on youtube does a video where he goes from straight pipe to twister.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ckage83 View Post
    My buddy has a 5" flo pro with the muffler and its damn near stock inside. Granted he doesn't have the 2nd gen swap, which is going to make a ton of air noise but the muffler really quiets it down. If you don't want to go that quiet, I've heard great things about the flo pro twister resonator. Ram Beast on youtube does a video where he goes from straight pipe to twister.
    I haven't researched much on the resonator. Is there a certain location you install it on the exhaust. Closer to the downpipe or further back?
    You can damn near hear my truck for 2 miles, according to my wife, when I leave for work in the morning.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    I haven't researched much on the resonator. Is there a certain location you install it on the exhaust. Closer to the downpipe or further back?
    You can damn near hear my truck for 2 miles, according to my wife, when I leave for work in the morning.

Closer to the downpipe will help any in cab noise/drone for sure inside the cab. If that is not the issue then anywhere after that is a good place. Normally most put it where the old muffler was originally.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Thanks rotorhead thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I went the muffler route, still fairly loud outside, but the in cab drone is gone. I had the 4" straight pipe, added a flo-pro 6195 muffler.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

14. Thanks rotorhead thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I used this 30" resonator mounted as close to turbo as i could get it. made it much better.
    https://www.ftediesel.com/store/pc/v...6&idcategory=7

16. Thanks rotorhead thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Diamond eye makes some nice mufflers, as well as exhaust with the resonator built into the downpipe to help with in cab drone.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post