Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham radio

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Ham radio

I was wondering if there was any ham radio guys or gals on the forum and if so have you rigged up your truck? Have a 2017 2500 and was looking for placement and antenna ideas

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Ham radio

Hi there, I'm a ham also and would also like to install an ICOM ID-5100 and Comet CA-2X4SR antenna. Looking to place the antenna in the center of the roof and have been researching the best way to lower the head liner gaining enough access to run feed lines. My truck has curtain airbags and would like to avoid setting them off during the install! (hehehe). What radio(s) are you planning to install?

Eric
    2013 / 3500 Tradesman / 6.7L / G56 / CCLB / SWD

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Ham radio

I am a ham also, N1ICB, and I am in the process of replacing my dual bander that died (1989 model). I have an Icom ID5100 going in. Just finished programming it and installing the Bluetooth module.
    My current truck (to be replaced this winter with a 3500 Cummins) is a 2005 1500 qc. When I bought the truck I had the dealer drop the headliner and install a pair of NMO mounts with the cables coming down behind the rear seat on the drivers side. I also had them run a pair of 20a power circuits from the battery to the same place.
    I figured they would know all the gotchas and have spare fasteners in case some are single use only.
    Now I need to use the old remote head cable to pull in the new one and microphone extension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn CC SB SRW White Cummins Aisin with 5th wheel package
    ARE cap on order
    hunting for a chrome winch bumper
    need to add clearance lights
    Want Rigid Adapt driving lights

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I was thinking about nmo mounts as well. I’d like to put an icom dual band in but I’m not sure about placement. Eventually hf as well but have to save the funds LOL. Maybe main unit under or behind back seat with lines running under center console. Love to see pics of the setup. Call sign is K7WTO btw
    P.S @cosmicIPA I’m looking at the ic2730. ( love the cosmic brew too LOL )

6. Thanks cosmicIPA thanked for this post
    Likes cosmicIPA liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The best ground plane is dead center of the roof for 2m / 440. My 2013’s sheet metal roof appears to be just as “flimsy” as the rest of the truck & pondering possible o-ring failure from bumpy road conditions. Should bond / ground the doors and bed too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eric

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Oh, my call is: KL3JG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eric

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I don't know if it helps, but there's a CB bracket that mounts under the hood lip. I use a battery box bolt. It's made for a 1/2 wave whip, buy you might be able to adapt it. I don't believe I get any body deflection.

DSCN0190.JPG

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Thanks cosmicIPA thanked for this post
    Likes cosmicIPA liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I’ve been looking around and I found some solid stake hole mounts ( that sheet metal on roof is pretty iffy ). The guy at geotool.com seems to know his stuff and the options for different antenna setups look really nice

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Upsguy View Post
    I’ve been looking around and I found some solid stake hole mounts ( that sheet metal on roof is pretty iffy ). The guy at geotool.com seems to know his stuff and the options for different antenna setups look really nice
    The only problem with roof mounts is parking garages and low overhangs like drive thru's. It's the best location for the antenna for a 360* field, but a 3/8 hole could turn into a 1/2" hole. There's always that remote chance you'll go under one at one time or another.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I agree. The other stake hole mount I looked at was from Breedlove mounts. They have a really good one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast