Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Battery life

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Battery life

Just curious what type of battery life everyone is getting on OEM batteries. My truck is a 2016 and I let it sit for 45 days as I was out of town for work. Got back home and truck was dead. Jumped the truck and all was good for a week. Tried starting my truck today and it was dead again. Winter is kicking in here (hit 22 degrees last night). I just figured id get more than 2 and half years out of the batteries.

Only accessories I have are amp steps, mm3 and hids. All of which have been on the truck since 2k miles (30k miles on truck now).

Anyways, looks like its time for new batteries.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Battery life

Quote Originally Posted by steven85 View Post
    Just curious what type of battery life everyone is getting on OEM batteries. My truck is a 2016 and I let it sit for 45 days as I was out of town for work. Got back home and truck was dead. Jumped the truck and all was good for a week. Tried starting my truck today and it was dead again. Winter is kicking in here (hit 22 degrees last night). I just figured id get more than 2 and half years out of the batteries.

Only accessories I have are amp steps, mm3 and hids. All of which have been on the truck since 2k miles (30k miles on truck now).

Anyways, looks like its time for new batteries.

I still have the original batteries in my 2016.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I got over 10 years on my truck originals.
    But for long term sitting, say over 3 weeks, go trickle chargers.
    I have them for every vehicles, including my tractor & mower, their batteries was bought in 2005 and still good to go.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Likes watersupply189, steven85 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Extreme temps (cold or hot) more so heat will kill a battery along with not being used/charged like your situation. The last pair of super starts I put in I got 2 years out of and they were just out of warranty.

I just put interstate batteries in and they are free replacement for 30 months and then prorated after that up to 6 years. Hoping to have better luck with these. I have AMP steps and MM3 running as well- more goodies in the garage that need to get wired and bolted on

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Likes watersupply189, steven85 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I got over 10 years on my truck originals.
    But for long term sitting, say over 3 weeks, go trickle chargers.
    I have them for every vehicles, including my tractor & mower, their batteries was bought in 2005 and still good to go.
    I didnt think id be gone that long so it didnt even occur to me to put my trickle charger on. Also I used the truck every day since I returned home and it was starting fine and was reading at 14 amps. Since it died on me again, even though I used it the night before, I'm just assuming the batteries arent good anymore. I'll go get them tested on my day off. I have the platinum care package which covers battery replacement...probably just one though.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Over time I started a practice of trickle charging until full 3 to 4 times per year for the heck of it while in the truck, plus fully charging new batteries before installing into truck.
    So far all my batteries have lasted for years.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post